When do you know your child needs early intervention?

just curious. my daugther is fine with speaking and i am not really concerned but i am not sure what exactly does this program help with. is it just speech delays? i hear more and more people using it.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 6:35 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Early intervention may focus on the child alone or on the child and the family together. Early intervention programs may be center-based, home-based, hospital-based, or a combination. Services range from identification–that is, hospital or school screening and referral services–to diagnostic and direct intervention programs. Early intervention may begin at any time between birth and school age; however, there are many reasons for it to begin as early as possible”.

This is a good explanation. Do you think your daughter needs EI?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• when my middle daughter went for her speech evaluation, they also evaluated her motor and development skills, and her flexibility (which i thought was weird for a speech therapist to know about flexibility, but it probably has something to do with brain development). she went around 22 months and turned out everything was fine, she just needed more encouragement to actually say what she wants rather than point and whine. now she's 2 and a half and speaking wonderfully.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Early intervention isn't just for speech, it's for all therapies, physical, occupational.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:40 PM on May. 9, 2011

• no she doesn;t need it at all but i hear it from people i do not think their children need it so i was just curious. she is developmentally advanced actually.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 6:43 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You can check out this website:

http://www.zerotothree.org/
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 6:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Early intervention is for any child is developmentally behind whether in speech, fine motor skills, or gross motor skills. My first was in early intervention after he stopped talking at 18 months he was later diagnosed with autism his pediatrican gave us the referral for early intervention.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

• But it's also important to note that a child can be behind in one area and advanced in another.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My child is one who looks like he does not need it but oh yes he did. And still gets therapy. Early intervention is designed for children birth to three who live with developmental concerns. In my own child he had issues eating at about nine months. He did not like a lot of solids, regressed on foods he did like, gagged, and threw up foods. Not just another picky eater. Yet many moms wanted to lable him as just that and give advice on how I should feed him. Ummm okay. He also had issues swallowing and a speech delay. Yet to most people he seems fine and has no problems. Unless you look with a professional lens you wouldn't know. He has similar behaviors to that of a child living with ADHD but it has more to do with sensory processing. Long story short he gets overwhelmed easily and it comes out hyper. Most parents see a child who is bright, athletic, artistic, articulate, and very social.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:54 PM on May. 9, 2011

• One parent described him as being the most laid back. Ha! Not really. But when you live with him and watch his personal struggle you know your child is in pain emotionally and developmentally. To others all they see is a healthy very active kid. I'm glad for that. But I am also glad to see what he needs. And trust me - this is not a cheap route. We spend thousands upon thousands out of pocket. One teacher said thank god we went tge cheaper way and didn't do medication. If only....ADHD doesn't come close in terms of total cost. A pill and therapy would be easier. But for those who think he doesn't need it - thank you! My hard work is paying off.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• frogdawg, it's the same with my son. From what you said, it seems like we could be talking about the same child! We chose not to medicate too.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:52 AM on May. 10, 2011