"I think you're rude and disrespectful and you should learn to respect other people and what they believe" (S/O)

This was a comment directed to me in another question of mine.  My question now is...

Why should I?

Respect is defined as: "esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability".  

So why would any individual feel that they automatically deserve "respect" from a complete stranger?  Simply because they exist?  I think that all people are entitled to the same basic human rights, and I do my best to try to be polite and extend common courtesy to everyone, but in my opinion, actual "respect" is something that must be earned.

Regarding the idea that a belief deserves respect... well, I can say that I highly respect the idea that everyone has the right to believe whatever nonsense they want, however, I will not respect those beliefs that have no merit, or are otherwise unworthy.   I also do not think that anyone's beliefs should be above questioning, and feel that any system of belief that demands unquestioning adherence is by far the least deserving of respect.

This, of course, does not mean that I'm going to go out of my way to be rude to people who hold beliefs that I do not consider worthy of my respect.  As I mentioned before, I do feel that common courtesy is important.  For example, sitting quietly when someone says grace before a meal is simply the polite thing to do... it is an appropriate way of showing that I respect their right to believe what they want, but in no way does it mean that I respect their actual belief. 

Now, before anyone thinks they are going to be clever and say that I was being discourteous when I posted my other question, please keep in mind that it was posted in a debate forum - a place specifically designed for people to discuss opposing views.  Had it been posted in something like a (non-debate) Christian Evangelist group, then I'd agree, that would have been rude. 

Eek_a_Geek

Asked by Eek_a_Geek at 6:45 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Honestly you guys, come on... this is what she said: and I do my best to try to be polite and extend common courtesy to everyone, but in my opinion, actual "respect" is something that must be earned.

She's not saying that she goes around being a total bitch to people just for the hell of it. COMMON COURTESY is being polite, as you would want to be treated likewise by strangers. Actually RESPECTING someone, is totally different from being courteous, respect is something honorable and not easily given, for a person to literally respect every single other human ever in the whole wide world means that any a*****e you’ll never even meet is just as valuable and appreciated by you as the people who love/care for you. IMHO, that’s very sad.

brandy0827

Answer by brandy0827 at 7:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If you expect to be respected, which I have a feeling you do, you have to earn it by being respectful of others and their beliefs, EVEN in a debate forum! That does NOT give you free reign to act like a jerk.
    Anonymous

• I think you get back what you put out. So if you don't respect others, no ones going to respect you.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Feel better now?
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 6:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think it's based more on personal interpretation. I am one that believes we should show a certain degree of respect out of common courtesy and from there that initial respect may be increased or diminished based on how the interaction goes. However, not everyone is myself and others feel that respect ought to be earned and things should not be taken so seriously on the computer, and while I don't disagree with them necessarily, it does conflict with my own interpretation so I would not post something that without an added explanation of why I chose it and what points I agree or disagree with for clarification but again that is MY choice. And yes many people do take things too seriously on here.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:52 PM on May. 9, 2011

• ehh......I think you should treat all people how you want them to treat you....
    doula-mom25

Answer by doula-mom25 at 6:51 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I agree. The idea that if someone calls some belief "religion" that it is above question and worth of respect is absurd.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Enough with the dissembling. You can write as many spinoffs as you want, that won't change the fact that you made the other post with the intentions of inflaming people. You can't deny that, much as you might try. Even in this post, you couldn't resist throwing in a few more thinly veiled barbs. "well, I can say that I highly respect the idea that everyone has the right to believe whatever nonsense they want, however, I will not respect those beliefs that have no merit, or are otherwise unworthy"

Really, I'm not bothered by your last post, or any others like it.  But if you're going to deliberately make inflaming posts, at least own it.  Don't make another post claiming that you "try your best to extend common courtesy" - which, by the way, you didn't.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:08 AM on May. 10, 2011

• You can question a belief and be respectful about it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:08 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think you can respect the fact that the other person believes something that you don't. By respect, IMO, that means that while you can and are allowed to question those beliefs and their origins, i don't think it's ok to degrade those beliefs.
    There is a difference between saying "your beliefs make no sense to me" and saying "your beliefs are nonsense and ridiculous".

We can and should, IMO, try to be respectful at any and all opportunities. We all fail at that however, LOL. But i do believe, that what we give out we get back in return. Do you want to be respected? Give respect.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:13 PM on May. 9, 2011