My almost 4yr girl refuses to potty train!

My little girl will be 4 in August and has no interest at all in potty training! We have tried everything. We did the chart/sticker system and she could careless. I offered to buy her anything at the toy store and she does not want anything. I tried putting her in panties but once she figured out what I was doing she now refuses to wear panties without a diaper on. I tried letting her run around naked and she also "caught on" to what I was doing and now she sits in the middle of the floor and screams until we put a diaper on. She has cried for 3 hours straight and used the bathroom on the floor while doing it!! She takes her stuff animals to the potty and goes with her older sister but she refuses to use it. I have both the stand alone potty and the insert that sits inside the toilet and she refuses both! I have even tried putting her favorite candy in there and she does not want them either!! If anybody has any tips please help!! She has been accepted to the four year public pre school this August but she has to be potty trained!

catsrule04

Asked by catsrule04 at 6:57 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe there she is going through something? Has anything changed in the last few months?
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 7:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I am sooo sorry mommy!!!! I hope you get some good tips that has to be really hard on you!!!! Good Luck Mommy! (sorry no tip my DS isnt trained yet)
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:07 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My oldest was like this so one day I decided I wasn't putting up with it anymore I knew he knew better than going in the diaper. So I stuck him on the toliet till he went it took 4 hrs of sitting in the bathroom. We sang songs, read books, and I offered him his favorite juice to drink as we waited for him to go. Once he went I praised him and put him in underwear which he didn't like at first. But when he had to go he went to the bathroom and went. He was fully potty trained within 24 hrs. He also has autism which his therapist told me I would be lucky if he was potty trained by 6.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:27 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my lil girl acts the same way but she is 2. I am going to ask her dr. about it maybe if you talk to her dr. they can give you some good advise. best of luck mommy!!!!
    youngmommy220

Answer by youngmommy220 at 7:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Congratulations Mom, you've given ALL the power to your 4 year old. She knows how, but she won't because there is NO predictable consequence.

If she screams, she goes to her room.
    If she pees on the floor, she cleans it up.
    She can either wear underwear or go naked. Get rid of all the diapers.

She is more than old enough to use the toilet and figure out what signals her body is giving. I did this with my daughter when she was 3. She KNEW all the steps, and the process, she just didn't do it. I finally had to say: You're done with diapers now. She potty trained in a week.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I TOTALLY agree with Rosehawk... almost 4 years old is WAY too old, time to put an end to it!

Throw away ALL of her diapers... let her see you throw them so she knows they are all gone.
    Put her in undies or she can choose to go naked (but if she stays naked then she also can't of coase play outside and I would also not allow TV time and things like that)
    If she chooses to pee or poop on the floor then SHE cleans it up and SHE cleans herself up.
    If she throws a tantrum then she gets time out.
    no more stickers or candy or any other reward... enough it enough! You can praise her for a job well done if she uses the potty.
    And no matter what DO NOT GIVE UP! If you give in to her then it won't stop.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:45 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My ds was 5 when he potty trained. He is autistic though. His developmental ped told me (after years of trying everything) that he will do it in his own time. That if I continued it would create a battle I. couldn't win. That if I backed off, gave praise when he did well and no comments or conversation when I had to change him. Within 6 months he was trained. So when my 3 year old began showing interest I just let things go and did the same as with my ds. It wasn't quite as successful lol. But I took him to the store to pick out stickers. I told him he could have one every time he went pee pee in the potty. It was 2 days and he was going. As for BM, he wanted to spend the night with my mother. We explained she wasn't well enough to change diapers. He was completely trained in a week! By 3.5.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:00 PM on May. 9, 2011