Whatever happened to respecting your elders & overall manners?

I have seen way too many instances lately that are starting to make me lose faith in humanity! The rudeness of people of all ages out in public, & the general concensus of the devalued elderly population. It's sickening! If we are lucky enough, we will ALL be elderly someday. And could I please go to the store w/out hearing about so-and-so's biological funtions or the F-bomb?! Is that really too much to ask?!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:58 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• I think the whole "respect your elders" idea went by the wayside when parents started making their children their friends. I still insist my children call the adults in the neighborhood "Mr. or Mrs. so and so" I do not allow them to call them by their first names.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• 100% agreed! i held a door open for my mom's coworker today (who knows who i am) and she just looked at me and strutted through the door without a thank you or even a smile. and its really sad that my 2 month old behaves better in public than my 5 year old and 18 month old nieces. i know i was raised better than that and intend to raise my son the same way - to use manners and be caring and pleasant to people in general.

i know "kids will be kids" but these days thats being taken too far and used as an excuse for all bad behavior.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 7:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It is the result of a few generations of absent parenting and selfish priorities. It is a shame.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It is still there. My son was raised to be respectful from a very young age. I do not tolerate disrespect and poor manners. But, I also taught him that respect is earned, it is not automatic. If someone, adult or not, is disrespecting him he doesn't have to be overly respectful. He has a bare minimum he gives until the person earns it. He had a teacher that didn't deserve the respect. He still listened to her and did what he was told, but he wasn't overly repsectful.

I did all this as single parent too. Teaching a child respect has nothing to do with absent parents, 2 parent families, etc. It is about being taught how to act, what is acceptable and being respected in turn.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:23 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I like to watch tv shows like "Secret millionaire" or "Extreme Makeover". I love seeing that there are still some good people out there. :)

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 7:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I do get what you mean. Some girl was sitting in her cheerleader uniform from the high school near my house, in a KFC, she kept talking about the sexual things she claimed to have done. And it was very informative. I had to ask her to stop it because my 13 year old was sitting right there. She apologized but took it outside with the four guys she was with.
    I don't really care that she did these things, but I want to eat my dinner in peace.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 7:06 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Unfortunately, that usually has to be taught in the home, and started from an early age. There was a girl in the mall one night while I was working... yelling at her boyfriend on the cell, telling him how she was going to run his a** over, do a burn out and then back over him again. Only she was using some very choice words in there as well. I was like, "You've got to be kidding me"... Trashy...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:19 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I understand what you are saying. Its a shame that we live in a society where we have to witness how rude and selfish people have become...whatever happend to "it takes a village"?
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 8:43 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I had a friend in Canada who would always harp on how screwed up their laws were. I guess up there it's illegal to spank, ground, and take away electronics if your child is misbehaving. The reason: It's mental/emotional abuse. For other reasons we're no longer friends and I'm more inclined to take ANYTHING she says with a pound of salt.

Manners are NOT dead, they're just in hiding. I'm trying my darnedest to teach my kids to be polite and respect their elders. Hopefully they'll pass it on to THEIR kids.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:26 PM on May. 9, 2011