I sorta feel bad but I know my DH is right

My dh and his mother (who are not on very good terms) work on the same floor in the same hospital (though they work of different wings so while they have a lot of coworkers who know each other, they don't ever see each other there unless they go out of their way to). I am pregnant and I have posted before if we should tell his mother or just let her hear about it at work. We have decided that we should tell her ourselves BUT my dh doesn't want to tell her until he is ready to tell is coworkers. The reason: the second she finds out, she will tell everyone at work. I am only 7 weeks so we aren't really ready for that, we told my family yesterday (some figured it out before though) but we don't won't to tell his coworkers till I am at least 13 weeks but maybe longer then that. His plan is to tell his coworkers and her on the same day on a day she doesn't work so he will call her after work to tell her. I hate the idea of her finding out on the same day as his coworkers but I understand why, he wants to be the one to tell people and he wants them to know on our time. Would you feel bad in my situation?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 6:59 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Well, if she's known to run her mouth, I guess that's her fault. Yes, it'd be nice if she was a perfect MIL and would keep it to herself. Unfortunately, she's not. So in order to keep your secret from the co-workers til you're ready, she has to be last to know. Besides, they aren't that close, so I wouldn't feel bad.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 12:59 AM on May. 10, 2011

• It's his mother, and he should be the one to decide the timing to tell her. (We didn't tell our families until we were 5 months along...helped to keep the drama to "only" 4 months!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I agree with your husband. If he feels she would tell everyone when he isnt quite ready then he shouldn't tell her. CONGRATS!!

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 7:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• dont feel bad. you got to share the news with your family, just go along with your hubby's wishes. i wouldnt want to get between something in his family. but congrats to you guys! i wish you a wonderful pregnancy!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 7:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• nope
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:01 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It's HIS mom, so if that is the way he wants to play this out, I guess you have to let him. I hope that whatever caused this rift between them will be healed w/ the the joyous news, so she can be allowed to play the doting G-ma! GL to all of you :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:02 PM on May. 9, 2011

• yes 13 weeks is a while to wait kinda not fair if youve already told everyone else IMO. but it is his work place your in a hard spot :( sorry momma
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:03 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would not be upset.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:05 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I agree with your husband, let him decide when its the right time. Congrats!
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 7:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't tell anyone but close family and very close friends until I am 12 weeks pregnant. You don't want to have to explain to a bunch of strangers if (heaven forbid!) something goes wrong. With my last pregnancy my boss told me not to tell anyone at work until I was six month pregnant (for lots of different reasons). That was kinda hard to hide.hahaha.
    Don't feel bad about waiting, do what is comfortable for you and husband.
    Congratulations!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:57 PM on May. 9, 2011