Am I being petty ?

My sister's boyfriend that's been around for 5 years now is being deployed here soon. He called my mother today (he does have my cell # & has called it before for dumb things) and asked if she would bring MY SON to his deployment party. Shouldn't he at least have asked me if my son could go ? My mom didn't even ask me. She made the decision. Am I being petty to be upset that I wasn't even asked if he could go and for being upset that my mom just made the decision on her own? I feel like I had two ppl disrespect my role as the mother. Does this make sense or am I being petty ? Should I allow him to go if I'm not being petty ? I do want to say I'm not upset that I'm not invited, I'm upset bc they both disrespected my role as a mother. They didn't even ask me.

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 7:12 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Your sister's boyfriend wants your mother and son to come to his deployment party, but you're not invited? Wow! Both he and your sister need a a lesson on manners!

Unless your son is a teenager and old enough to attend events on his own, you have every right to be upset, and every right to say that you AND your son have plans or you AND your son will be happy to attend.

Now tell your mother that YOU make the decisions for your child, and she should ask you in the future before she accepts invitations on your son's behalf.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:20 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Nope not being petty. You are the mother, its your permission they needed. Especially if its just for a boyfriend and not married into the family. Kinda up to you whether to allow him to go. I probably would, but I'd be the one taking him.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• depends why youre not invited?
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 7:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• PS I get happy when family whom do not like me invite my children/ ask about them. I may not like them all, but my children do and my heart swells when I feel like so many people enjoy how precious they are.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 7:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It would be petty to make a big deal out of this on this occasion.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• yeah uhmmmmm why does he need YOUR SON.... at his deploy PARTY ????? WHERE IS your sister in all of this and has this BF of YOUR SISTERS taken over father figure with YOUR SON??????????? this doesnt make sense. and your mom has balls to just not ask or mention it to you, so does he and your sister......
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 7:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• NOOOO YOUR NOT BEING PETTY AT ALL! You are his mother and YOU make the dision as to where he can and cannot go....ughhh giirll i have been there soo many times. It sucks! But no, you are NOT you have every reason to feel how you are feeling.

It would be nice for him to go though =) I would let him! for sure! family is VERY important.
    i would talk to your sister. bring it up like Ohh ( your sons name ) was invited to the party? you guys just dont want me to be there? haha

you know kinda play it off casual

good luck! Let him go. even if you dont go, just make sure your mom knows next time to please ask YOU since YOU are his mother.

grandmas can over step their boundaries soo bad sometimes! my mom does it all the time
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 7:23 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would be upset 1 at him for not asking you and 2 at your mom for deciding something about your child without you, she had no right to do that!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Your son is YOUR SON. No one should be making decisions without your permission. My mom has attempted to do the same thing, but i put her in her place. Why does he want your son to be there?
    ILoveAsherAthan

Answer by ILoveAsherAthan at 7:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Does your mom usually take care of him? If yes, then I think you're over reacting.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 8:09 PM on May. 9, 2011