Depression

hey I have been horribly depressed and have been having thoughts of self harm. I am supposed to see my dr. in the morning and they want to put me on meds and therapy. has anyone else had depression. I am not sure why I am so down. Any help is appreciated.

youngmommy220

Asked by youngmommy220 at 7:22 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Health

• hugswell first off i hope that you don't hurt yourself.. maybe do you have a friend that could come and sit with you for a bit to help? Depression sucks and i have been thru it myself. The best thing you can do is reach out to someone. I hope that things get better for you

amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I haven't, but my husband suffered terribly with it. He'd just get really down in the dumps for no apparant reason. His life changed when he saw a doctor who was well qualified and when DH was absolutely honest with him, and he got some meds for it. He said it was like he felt as if everything was actually okay for the first time he could remember. Like a dark cloud had been lifted. Good luck!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I am going through the same thing. It's hard some days and better others. You have to try and keep yourself busy and occupied. Try and do something that makes you happy. I am trying therapy, it helps a little to have someone to let it all out too. I didn't want medicine, because I didn't want to harm my baby. Your emotions are going to change all throughout the different experiences. Hope I can help I don't know your situation, but if you want to talk more let me know.
    MommyMJean

Answer by MommyMJean at 7:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• @ MommyMJean-- basically this is my situation. My dad has terminal cancer and I have to help my mom take care of him, my ex husband is trying to take me back to court for full custody of my DD, he says I am unable to take care of my DD and my new baby. My husband works a full time job and goes to school full time. My DD has been acting horrible lately she screams at me and refuses to listen to me, I have trouble getting her to eat and she refuses to potty train. I have placenta previa and a couple of other health and I hit my breaking point today when my DD started kicking me in my stomach. I don't know how to cope with all of the pressure so I chose to talk to my Dr. before I get to where I can't control anything. Thanks for listening.
    @amberpaiz I just moved and don't have any friends where I am living.
    @ judimary I am hoping that I get to talk to a good Dr. about what is going on
    Thanks to all of you.
    youngmommy220

Comment by youngmommy220 (original poster) at 7:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You are doing the right thing, meds can help, maybe not immediately, and if you have side effects, don't stop the meds. Let your doctor know, you can try another med. You are going through a lot with young kids. I have had depression, and it does suck, but it does get better! Just keep hanging in there! Another good site to talk about depression is Inspire.com, you can find a support group for depression there. To find friends in your area, take your kids to a park, or try meetup.com to find a mommy group in your area. I know, its the last thing you want to do, but getting out with people can make you feel better. Remember to sleep as much as you can, try to eat well, and get some physical activity. You can dance around the living room to music if its too hard to leave the house! Being a mom is super hard, depression is common, and it is not your fault!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Sometimes you need meds. I take two antidepressants and I feel balanced. I hit my bottom this summer. Meds and therapy helped me deal with the tragic passing of my father. It sounds like you need help. Take care of you first, your baby, and then your daughter. She knows you are stressed so she is probably acting out. You do sound like me a few months ago and let me tell you it does get better!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:27 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thanks a bunch I started crying when I read some of these I can't believe that there are other women out there that understand. It helps just knowing that there is kind people that are willing to lend a helping word. thanks so much and I will update everyone tomorrow and let yall know what the Dr. says. I am also about to check out the sights that were recommended. thank you thank you thank you.
    youngmommy220

Comment by youngmommy220 (original poster) at 11:43 PM on May. 9, 2011

• it could be alot of reasons life in gernal/ family boyfriend things not going the way youve plan ive had depresion and thought bad thought but i found things that would cheer me up and you just need to get your mind off things and fouse on important things
    sarahullery11

Answer by sarahullery11 at 11:55 PM on May. 9, 2011

• hey mommy's I went to the DR this morning and they did give me meds and a list of things he want's me to do every day to make myself feel better... I did sign up for the meetup.com and I am waiting to hear back from them. I did smile today for the first time in a long time. I got out of the house went to the mall by myself and met a couple of ladies. we are going for a moms night out Saturday. Thanks to all of you for your support I am sure this is not the last time I will need help
    youngmommy220

Comment by youngmommy220 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on May. 10, 2011