Do you allow your kids to eat away from the table?

We have never allowed my dd to eat away from the table. However, she is getting past the age of spilling things. What do you think of allowing snacks in the den? One of the reasons we have kept her at the table is because we know she will snack less and not just shovel food mindlessly.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 7:31 PM on May. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids are 9 and 11 and I still make them eat at the table, unless it's popcorn and/or water on Fri or Sat night while we're watching a movie. I'm not as worried about them spilling as I am them snacking all the time - if they have to sit at the table I know they are more likely to be truly hungry and not just munching to have something to do.

Answer by missanc at 7:32 PM on May. 9, 2011

• We didn't allow food in other rooms other than the kitchen unless like mentioned already...........on a family movie night or something.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:37 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my answer is the same as the above answers only movie night popcorn is allowed in the living room and absolutely nothing goes upstairs in their rooms!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Maybe I just suck but the only thing our table is for is homework. I figure after she spends 2 hours at the table a day doing homework, she can eat in her room in front of the tv.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• They eat at the kitchen table or in the mancave with hubs. They do not eat in the bedrooms or the living room.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my kid eats wherever i eat. sometimes its outside by the fire, sometimes its at the dinner table, some by the tv , hell even sometimes in my bed with me!! guess im a "bad" mom too =)
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 7:41 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Sometimes we'll all eat in the den - but I have a small play table in there that my 6 and 3 year old eat at, and adults eat sitting on the floor at a long coffee table.

Usually we eat at the kitchen table, sometimes the dining room.

My kids eat where I am eating, though, for meals. For snacks we *generally* eat at the table, but sometimes in the den for popcorn with a movie, but then at the table they're the only one eating, or sitting on the couch with me or DH if we're sharing a bowl.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 7:45 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Unless we have adult company who carry it elsewhere, food stays at the table.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:52 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i think it depends on you if you all sit at the table and eat as a family every night then they should eat with you if you all sit and watch a movie and eat in the living room then let them do that if you are in a hurry and eat on the go then go see it just depends on what you do and what everyone else does i wouldnt expect them to sit at the table all alone and eat either so
    jmiljies

Answer by jmiljies at 7:56 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Yeah, we are big snackers, so we allow more than most, I guess. Eating messy things is confined to dining room, screen porch and kitchen (but I'm a big hypocrite and eat in the living room whenever I can- my husband does too). Semi-messy snacks (say, an apple or goldfish) are allowed in the living room, as are sippy cups (living room is cleaned a LOT). Lots of foods are allowed in the car, mostly because their dad eats lots of car snacks and HATES to stop.

No food is allowed out of those few rooms, definitely nothing upstairs. Except I snack in bed. And my husband would forbid that if he could.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:57 PM on May. 9, 2011