4-year-old developement

My son has always been very smart: he knows his numbers and alphabet and can write them both, things like that. He seems to be struggling with logic for the last year and acts, well, weird. He has trouble following instructions without getting confused or distracted and he tends to repeat things a lot. Phrases like "trashcanhead" and "diaperbutt" over and over when I leave him and his little brother to play. When I say repeat I mean just saying the same thing over and over for 15-20 minutes and laughing hysterically. My ped says he's fine, but my niece has ADHD, OCD, ODD and an anxiety disorder and I'm starting to notice some of her behavior in him.
Does this seem odd to any of you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids are weird...especially boys. If your ped feels he is fine chalk it up to just another weird stage and let it go. Keep getting him regular check ups of course...don't borrow trouble Mama!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• some kids just do it to be funny my son does and he will be 6 sunday plus if he knows you dont like it that will keep him doing it oh and the mocking soon starts lol my 3 year old daughter picked that up from my son so now i have to kids mocking me
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'd limit his sugar and cafine intake.And see if that makes a difference.Even if he is adhd, you will have to deal with it either way.I'd try everything else before medication.He is young enough to solve the problem before he goes to school.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• He doesn't have any caffeine and very little sugar at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Some extrremely smart children have issues with paying attention because their mind is constantly working. My son is this way. He has very intelligent and now 8 yrs old. He has anxiety issues and is constantly worked up about something hes trying to explain to us. He also sometimes has trouble concentrating because he goes from say a math problem then his mind wanders onto something else. They say its something with very smart children. I would have his intellegence tested. I have 3 children Advanced Gifted and once you know for sure you can give them things to challenge them.

Answer by gemgem at 11:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Your son doesn't have anything "wrong" with him. He may not fall in the "normal" mold but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with him. Since when does being different mean you have something wrong with you?

I know I sound harsh and I apologize. But no child makes it through childhood without having something "wrong" with them. But thats just what makes people people.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Preschool age boys love saying "funny" words, especially word that contain "butt" or end in "head". Although he should be able to follow direction, as long as there are not to many steps. However, he may not want to follow the directions, or it would also be normal if he gets destracted before the task is complete.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 3:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008