Is it strange that....

because my dh and his ex wife are unable to talk about anything reguarding thier kids or anything for that matter without getting into a heated argument (I am always the middle man to keep things civil between them lol) that i am still civil with my ex husband and his new wife? I only ask because my dh has made comments in the past that he finds it odd that my ex husband will call me to ask me something early in the day when he is going to be coming to get the girls for thier visit later anyway.( so in other words why doesn't ex husband just wait to ask me when he gets here.) or another example if its a school play or function or what not dh finds it strange that my ex and his wife have no problem coming to sit next to us. Do you think he finds it strange because he truly thinks mostly everybody doesn't get along with thier ex just like him? Is there more to it than him just finding it wierd? Or am i overthinking it all together i'm really not trying to im just curious lol

Genice6

Asked by Genice6 at 7:58 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Maybe your husband just feels frustrated that you can't relate to his volatile relationship with his ex. Sometimes it's easier to be able to relate. I wouldn't worry about it though. You're definitely doing the best thing for your kids.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 8:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think it's great you and your ex can be civil. There's nothing wierd about that and your kids will thank you later in life. Your DH probably just has a hard time relating since his relationship with his ex is so negative but there may also be a bit of jealousy about your ex coming by to see you when he feels it's not necessary.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 8:20 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Maybe your husband isn't secure enough to realize that you and your ex are adult enough to have a relationship that isn't hateful for the children's sake. I think it is a great thing for you and your ex as well as your kids. Your husband needs to deal with it. PS.... my ex husband and I have a very civil relationship for the sake of my son.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• he finds it odd because his situation is totally different from yours. I'm like you.... i talk to my ex all the time, no issues....we're both remarried & happy. No reason to hold any grudges, it's always better when everyone gets along.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It's not odd. A lot of ex's can be civil. My sister and her ex were at war with each other for quite a few years after they split up but now she's civil with him for the most part - he confides in her stuff he'd never want his girlfriend to know, she babysits his 2 year old daughter (that he had with the woman he cheated on her with), last year when he wanted to leave his girlfriend he was staying in the guest bedroom at her house...until his conniving girlfriend told him she'd do everything in her power to make their daughter hate him if he didn't come back to her. There's only one guy I've dated in my past that I have no contact with, the other guys I've dated I still consider friends and one is even considered a best friend.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Maybe he's only ever been around people who don't get along with their exes. Most the people in my family who've gotten divorced rarely speak to their ex spouses...for example, my parents. It's nice to see exes get along and realize that it's best for the kids to be civil.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 11:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I only wish my parents were civil. My parents got divorced when I was 6 years old, and my mother is not a good person. I love my mom, but I also kinda hate her. She always made it difficult for my dad no matter what, and if we happened to side with my dad on something, or even say something about my dad, she would explode into a rage and get angry at us for even mentioning the word dad. I never understood my mother. She was always mean when it came to my dad, even though she left him, because she cheated. She always made it seem like it was my dads fault. Coming from my perspective, I really wish my parents were civil with eachother, or I wish at least my mom could handle herself better. It would have made my llife a lot easier, because I suffered a lot because of her actions. I would tell your husband that its really difficult on the kids when he doesn't get along with his ex wife.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 3:00 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Good so not strange lol and yea its definitely hard for dh to get along with his ex she is sorta salty at him because we have custody of his kids so she can tend to make things VERY difficult. However with her being that way just makes us both grateful that my ex is always the easier one to "deal" with.
    Genice6

Comment by Genice6 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on May. 10, 2011