No clue where to begin. dr says dh needs to be eating big ppl foods n weaned off the bottle...

Took my DS to c his Dr for his 9 month check up n she says he needs to start eating reg foods and being weaned off the bottle. I know this is necessary but I'm a little worried what to start with. Vegetables? Fruits? Meats? And what kinds? I'm new to being a mom and I have no one to ask but the dr who is nice but seems a little too busy for all my questions.

kpincince

Asked by kpincince at 8:08 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• fruits, veggies grains...like oatmeal. Not sure about meant...my DD is vegetarian..never had to go there.

You can give him pretty much whatever you eat, as long as it's healthy and small enough for him not to choke on. I used to mash up all my food with a fork & feed it to my DD. She'd eat right off my plate.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• meat...not meant
    samurai_chica

• One new food at a time wait at least a week in between so if your child reacts you will know what it is more easily. Hold off on Peanuts, and peanut butter until he's 2. My grandson pedi said no egg yolks until 1 yr old. I always started with mashed potatoes, mashed bananas, applesauce. You can increase solidty and texture as he learns and grows teeth.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I always introduced veggies before fruits per my pedi's instructions. Otherwise, he/she will get used to the sweet taste of fruits and won't eat any veggies.
    amycorp

Answer by amycorp at 8:52 PM on May. 9, 2011

• We started with vegetables then went to fruits (though my daughter turned her nose up at them but loves fruits mixed with oatmeal and cereal) then you want to move onto meats if your LO doesn't like plain meats then try the veggie and meats my daughter gobbles them up good luck
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 5:32 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My first attempt was today, I figured wed start slow so as not to disturb my DS too much all at once. Heated up some green beans, sliced them into little bite size pieces and served them along with green bean stage two baby food. Didn't mix them to c how hed do wig the real deal and it went great, a few prices on the floor but that's to b expected. And he drank his formula just fine thru his sipping cup. But do all babys drink out of the sippy cup continuously until its all gone? I figure maybe he just hasnt learned to drink a little, eat, and so on...
    kpincince

Comment by kpincince (original poster) at 1:15 PM on May. 10, 2011