Is this normal?

i have found my dd who is five touching herself a few times. i told her to stop she says it feels good what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just tell her it's something to be done in private! It's TOTALLY NORMAL!! Do NOT shame her in any way!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:23 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Just tell her that she shouldn't touch her privates around other people and then ignore it. Boys and girls do that around 4 to 5.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:19 PM on May. 9, 2011

• This is very normal. When my DD went through this I told her it is not polite to touch herself in public. I left it at that because I didn't want her to feel ashamed of her body.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 8:20 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't make a big deal of her doing it. If you yell at her or reprimand her she'll think that she's done something wrong. I would just explain to her that while it feels good, that's something that should be done in private and that it's not appropriate to do it anywhere other than her room.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Don't make a big deal out of it. Just tell her it is a private thing.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:32 PM on May. 9, 2011