Clingy 9 Month Old

Hello all:) I want to make this clear that I love my daughter, but being a full-time stay at home mom can make me want to go crazy right now. My DD has severe seperation anxiety from me, and I can only put her down when she wants to be on the floor to crawl around. I try putting her in her crib or playpen with toys and teethers so she can learn to be on her own for a little while and it doesn't help. She has cried so much she vomited. I don't know what to do.

Aeternam

Asked by Aeternam at 8:22 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our kids never liked a playpen much. They were always nearby no matter what I was doing but they were playing on their own with stuff. Remember to let her have measuring cups, plastic containers, anything in the kitchen that is safe and she will not choke on. My kids loved all that stuff much better than any toys. And we had such stuff in the laundry area, family room, etc
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• When my kids would go through this stage I'd put them in our excersaucer in line-of-sight of me and do my chores. They had things to play with/chew on and could still see me. I would also talk to them and tell them what I was about to do, then do it, and call to them from another room if I was out of sight.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• put her down and let her follow you around the house... she should be attempting to crawl or scoot by now.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would put my son down where he could see me and go about my daily routine. If he cried, I ignored him on the outside while dying on the inside. After a few days of doing this consistently, he began to notice how much fun it was to play with his toys and didn't "need" me standing over him or playing with him to have fun. We went through the same thing a month or so ago. He wanted to be in my lap all the time. Every time I sat down, he was gripping my leg and howling up at me. I am 6 mos. preggers and my belly is a lot bigger than that. He barely fits on my lap and is so big at almost a year that he puts my leg to sleep if I hold him for too long. So I started to do the same thing as we did then, and he is now only picked up if he isn't whining for it. It works really great, especially since my husband and I are on the same page about it and do the same thing consistently.Good luck ! It's so hard at first but it gets better:)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:46 PM on May. 10, 2011