Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Would it be wrong of me to do this?

I'm at a loss. I have been fighting to try to get my son on medicaid or peachcare (insurance for low income families. Medicaid of course is free and peach care you pay a small fee) I keep getting switched back and forth, "You don't make enough to qualify for peachcare but you make too much to qualify for medicaid." Ugh. My son is showing signs of Autism and I want to get him the help that he needs and deserves but I can't afford to. I wanted to raise money to take him to get help from the Marcus Institute. Is that wrong? Please keep your answers respctful, please no bashing. I just need to do what is right for my son the best way I can.


Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (23)
  • Sounds like a good plan to me!

    Answer by MommyH2 at 8:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • Does your son have a pediatrician? Is there a ped you can see at your county clinic? Ask the doctor to help you. You can also call your local regional Center directly and ask for them to help and guide you. Sometimes, a professional in the system will be able to get things done. Call the Marcus Institute and get their input, also.

    Good luck.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • Let me see what I can round up... Have you had the school do any kind of eval? That too is an option. They can't give a documented diagnosis but they can evaluate for services through the public school system. Keep hounding the case worker. there should be no gap. you qualify for one or the other. chances are you are on THE line and they just need to stick you somewhere! Here is a link to the local support group. They are FABULOUS! There are phone numbers and so not be afraid to call them! They are all so nice nad helpful. there is also a place to join the list-serv which is a wealth of info.  Also Parent 2 Parent may have someone there able to help you find out what you need.  Again VERY NICE people.


    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:52 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • There is no gap between peachcare and medicaid! I just double checked. I got this straight off of the Peachcare website!

    PeachCare covers children whose household incomes are above the Medicaid limits up to
    235% FPL.

    Family income less than or equal to 235% of the federal poverty level, $43,546 for a family of 3 and $52,523 for a family of 4.

    You need to put your foot down. They need to figure it out.


    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • AS a Ga. Resident with Peach care and a DS with HFA... Money and/or medicaid are not going to help you get into the Marcus. The waiting list is LONG! Like 18 months long.... Where in Ga. are you located? How old is DS? Ther are other GOOD options in my area...

    BTW they tossed me back and forth for a few weeks medicaid and peachcare before picking one. I finally told my case worker that my DD needed a check up and I needed them to settle on something.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • Try calling 211, they can set you up with free clinics and/or give you other resources. GL!

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • I am the other anon too and I just read your post after I posted mine. Instead of sending check stubs I would ask if his w2 is acceptable and send last years then they can divide by 12 and get the average monthly since if varies so much.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • I do have a pediatrician but my son doesn't have insurance right now so there isn't much we can do without cash and I found out I need alot of it =(
    I talked to his dr about my concerns and he agreed that he needs further testing for autism.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:40 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • I am halfway between Atlanta and Macon. My son is 5. I have talked to my case worker about 100 times in the last 3 months and still not getting anywhere. I just don't know what else to do besides maybe a fundraiser, I just didn't know if that would be tacky.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • I would contact the local human services dept. They might be able to give some advice.

    Answer by tspillane at 9:14 PM on May. 9, 2011