Did anyone else have any problems meeting with a dietitian if you had gestational diabetes

When i was told i had Gestational diabetes i had to have a meeting with a diabetic specialist everything was great till they asked the group to write down what we had to eat before coming so we could test our blood sugar.......i had a children's hamburger and a small sprite (not a big deal right?) one look at that the woman told me i would have a 10 pound baby or the baby would be born before 34 weeks because i was killing my baby.......fast forward four days of following there diet (breakfast = a small yoplait light yogurt, lunch = half a peanut butter sandwich, snack = apple, and dinner half a chicken breast and a cup of rice......enter the problem i lost 6 pounds in 4 days and my baby stopped kicking had to be rushed to the hospital to make sure the baby was ok thank goodness she was and still is she was born at 38 week 5 days and weighed 7 pounds and 5 ounces

so my question has anyone else had a problem like this or were they just nuts?

krissii

Asked by krissii at 9:03 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My blood sugar was only a little above what it was supposed to be and it was a side effect of the meds I had to take for preterm labor problems. I don't drink white milk..PERIOD. Mine told me to drink chocolate instead! She even wrote it on my diet! The doctor had a fit and tried to blame it on me...I had her stupid little diet! Their "diet" was crazy and had all kinds of things I didn't eat on it. It also had me eating 6 times a day! it was way too much food. My Mamo was an RN and my great-grandpa diabetic. She helped me a lot. The blood sugar stabilized as soon as I stopped taking the meds a couple of weeks before he was born.

I am happy your pregnancy ended successfully! Congratualtions on the baby!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• The small sprite WAS a big deal. That is a lot of sugar.
    I had GD with both of my pregnancies and I followed the diet to a T. With my first pregnancy I was actually so good at following the diet that I no longer needed insulin and the second time I followed the diet pretty much right when I found out I was pregnant and never needed insulin. Even with following the diet and my blood sugars being good, my oldest was born at 36 weeks weighing 5 lbs 10 oz 19inches long and my second was born at 37 weeks, 3 days weighing 6lbs 10oz 18 inches long.

And if they told you the only thing you could eat for breakfast was a yogurt, they messed up because you need more than that. My dietician had me eating Cheerios and fruit, or eggs and fruit. I had a mid morning snack. Lunch was a turkey sandwich with a salad and fruit, a mid afternoon snack, and dinner was a salad, chicken breast, a small serving of a carb (cont)
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I also had an evening snack. This worked perfectly for me. My blood sugars were great throughout my pregnancies.

Now, yes, both my children were born 'early' but I also have what my doctor called and irritable uterus. My mother apparently had a similar issue as all three of her children were born three weeks or more eary.

The diet they gave me, and the one I followed is that same as any other diabetic follows. My mother and sister are both nurses, so i knew I was good.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• with mine i never had to go on insulin my main issue was they were telling me i would kill my baby the first day before i even knew what i should eat with gestational diabetes and when i told them i lost the weight so rapidly they told me i was doing good and the lack of my baby kicking wasn't a issue that i was overreacting
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 9:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I had GD and with teh diet I was on I was eating all the time! I had to have something every 2-3 hours. I didn't gain much weight and I do contribute that to the diet (I was between 110-120 lbs prepregnancy with each), but I was always full. You can basically eat as much protein as you want, and it helps you feel fuller longer. Veggies also have very little carbs and you can eat tons of them - I was always popping cucumber slices and little cherry tomatoes.
    Of the 4 that I had GD with - my 2nd was born at 40 weeks, my 3rd was induced at 38 weeks, and my 4th and 5th were both scheduled csections both at 39 weeks. They were between 7 lbs 7 oz and 8 lbs 1 oz.

Answer by missanc at 10:00 PM on May. 9, 2011