Already potty trained accidents... adult content

A good friend of mine asked me over the weekend if it was normal for her 3 year old daughter to have 5 "accidents" a day after being potty trained for a year. She says her daughter won't tell her she has to go until its too late or will go hide somewhere and pee her pants. I told her she might be stressed out or upset about something and to talk to the pediatrician about it. The grandma is concerned she may be diabetic. Anyone dealt with this??

dragonlady320

Asked by dragonlady320 at 9:31 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I struggle with my son. He has been potty trained for almost five years, and still has accidents. If he is consumed attention-wise to something, he forgets. She might be hiding it because she knows shes supposed to go in the potty, but def get it checked out by pedi.
    ILoveAsherAthan

Answer by ILoveAsherAthan at 9:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Maybe she just needs to start reminding her again. Set a timer like when potty training.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 10:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It can be a few things and the Grandma could be right. My friends son is diabetic and they found out because he was going tot he bathroom a lot but he was also thirsty all the time. He would sneak his brother's bottle. He would sneak in the bathroom and he would drink water out of the faucet. Do you know if she is always thirsty? She could have an infection too so it's best to have the doctor check her out. My son went through this phase and would just pee his pants because he did not want to go potty. It could be that simple.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I have no idea if she's sneaking drinks or frequently thirsty. We were wondering if she's being rebellious or wanting control over something in her life. She has a little brother (uner 1 year old) and I'm wondering if she's thinking, well he doesn't have to use the potty... But I'm still wanting her to talk to the pediatrician, just to make sure. I didn't go through anything like this with my son and I'm trying to help her figure this out. Thank you all so much for your input its very helpful =)
    dragonlady320

Comment by dragonlady320 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• regression is not uncommon after they are potty trained for a period of time and often they will counce back...a doc visit won't
    hurt but I doubt she is diabetic. Stress can also cause regression.
    Anonymous

• She may need reminded. Or maybe she has a UTI and needs to be seen by the Pedia.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• just keep reminding her and asking her every hour if she needs to go potty I have had to do this with both my boys
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• It's pretty common to see this kind of regression, but I would think possible UTI before jumping right to diabetes.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 2:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I've had a very long struggle with my daughter. It's pretty common.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Usually there is a reason behind regression. I would find out if anything in her life has changed. Has she got a new sibling? Have they moved? Has her mommy gotten a new job? Any kind of big adjustments can cause a perfectly potty trained child to go back to not being potty trained. One other thing I would look into is if she has a UTI. Sometimes they can have very little symptoms except for the fact that they start wetting their pants. Its the constant feeling that they have to pee that makes them pee in their pants.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:04 PM on May. 10, 2011