Am I the only one?

Am I the only mom in her mid 40s who all of a sudden feels that she has no passion and has no clue how to look for a job that will be her next career? The last time I worked was 9 years ago right before my daughter was born. I had just graduated from college a couple of years ago and was doing mostly contract work because I was trying to get pregnant. Now I know that I don't ever want to go back to that career, even though it was my major in college. I'm considering going back to work and feel terrified, lost, and have no idea how to figure out what to do next? I'm so paralized by my fears that I can't even seem to get myself to update my resume.
Is there anyone out there like me? How are you figuring it out?

Ashoonik

Asked by Ashoonik at 9:31 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value! Skills such as time management, logistics, finance, management, etc. Additionally, you probably have done some great volunteer work and may have had part time or even consulting positions while you were home.
    Start with a great resume; update (or create) a Linkedin profile; let everyone you know that you are looking for a new position. How are your skills? You may want to take a couple of classes at a community college, like Microsoft office (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and a basic bookkeeping class.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Understandably you are afraid, but don't be. The closest I've ever come to being a stay-at-home mom was during my 3-month maternity leave for my children and it was hard. You've already been doing the hardest job in the world for the past 9 years, anything else pales in comparison (in my opinion). Don't let anyone see your fears, some people feed on that. It's all about perception. Rehearse/ practice your spill (with a positive spin) why there's 9-year gap and how you stayed current (again positive spin without lying). What kind of work are you looking for? I would ask some working mom's in your neighborhood that may be that field to help with your resume. Maybe even rehearse the interview as well. Be prepared and open to being critiqued. Also, it's tough out there even for people who have not had a 9-year gap. You need to mentally prepare yourself for that. Good luck. You'll be fine.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• you are not alone at all. I am 22 and cant figure out what i want to do with my career. But i also have to figure somethign out that works with my disabled son's schedule. I have notice fast food is more felxiable but not the choice i had in mind to keep forever
    blinksweetp

Answer by blinksweetp at 9:40 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No you are not alone!! I am 42 and had a career in retail mgmt. was forced out 5 years ago at 7 months pregnant. I have been a SAHM since. I also have an amazing home based business. I would love to chat with you. Sounds like we have a lot in common. I am going to send you a friend request...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:17 AM on May. 10, 2011

• you are absolutely not alone. check out some of the groups and such here on cafemom. =)
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 9:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thank you ladies for all your replies. I am familiar with word and excell and use them regularly. However, besides volunteering at my daughter's school I haven't done much volunteer work - I'm ashamed to say. I did talk to a fried who said she'll help me fix my resume and maybe help me practice interviewing skills. It's a step forward, but I'm still extremely anxious.
    Ashoonik

Comment by Ashoonik (original poster) at 12:00 PM on May. 12, 2011