Do you have to force family meals?

i insist we sit for family meals but all too often it's me n the kids... with DH sitting 5 feet away eating in front of sports tv with beer. not just occasionally during a "big game", but even for stupid sports recap shows. what is his problem? i've made my point to death but he hears what he wants to hear i guess

juliness

Asked by juliness at 9:38 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd bash the tv in.

Then again I refuse to be married to someone who places anything (sports ect...) ahead of family time.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No my kids know that if they dont eat with us they wont eat at all.
    This goes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and all snacks in between.
    You eather eat what is given to you or you dont eat at all.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 2:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Nope. We all sit at the table. If there is a big game or something on we can see the tv from the table so we all watch together while we eat. I don't know what to tell you about your hubby. It seems like you already have talked to him and try to insist on being together as a family and he still won't do it. Trying to force him would probably just make him mad and the matter worse. Is there any way you could record the show/highlights he's wanting to watch so he can watch them later? Or maybe go the smart ass route and move the entire table into the other room in front of his chair so you can all sit together. Then maybe he'd see you are serious about it!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 9:48 PM on May. 9, 2011

• we don't own a dvr, but i think even if we did he'd be doing the same thing. i keep trying to set the table so his seat is the one facing towards the tv if it absolutely has to be on, but it's like he's either totally ignoring me or has just decided my opinion doesn't matter. either way it's representative of anything else i have a stance on. he listens, nodding in agreement, just to turn around and do the exact opposite! and you'd even think from this post that i might be a nag, but i am far from it!
    juliness

Comment by juliness (original poster) at 9:56 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Nope not an issue here. We sit as family at the table every night.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My dh watches wrestling and plays video games... We do get to have table time quite often, but it's not every night. But he works 2 jobs, so I won't deny him some enjoyment :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:21 PM on May. 9, 2011

• The three nights a week I am home we eat as a family. My SO will join myself and my DD about halfway through our meals, but we sit until everyone is done.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I'd bash the tv in.

lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:54 PM on May. 9, 2011

• yeah, can't afford that, but it wouldn't matter anyway. he just watches tv instead of spending dinner with us, even when it's something he's not particularly interested in! i cannot help but get offended at this point, especially since i've said something about it numerous times
    juliness

Comment by juliness (original poster) at 9:54 AM on May. 12, 2011

• ANSWER - 

Call the cable company and get a dvr.  It is a perfect compromise.

Anonymous