• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Textured walls....how to undo them

we just bought a house. every wall in every room is textured. idk if its palster or stucco, but its driving me crazy. my dad gave me a spatula scraper to try to flatten it, i don't have 10 years to scrape the junk off. and i'm not going to pay a "professional" to come in and do it for us. any idea on what would work best?? plaster over the rest of it to make it even? smooth it with some sort of sander??

******New info: The walls are "knock down" style of texture.


Asked by dragonlady320 at 9:43 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 17 (3,261 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (16)
  • belt sander

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

  • i was going to also suggest and electric sander.

    Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • I would get a professional. My dad used to texture walls n also flatten them. He would put compound over it. When u put it on it needs to be smooth, no lines so u sand it after. When he sanded, he would put a bright lite to cast any shadows where the lines may be. The trick is to make it smooth because when u paint over it, that's when u see the lines.

    Answer by Vero0724 at 12:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • Sander?

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • Sorry, I'd call a professional. Your time is worth a lot too.

    Answer by elasmimi at 8:07 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • I have no clue either so I would ask a professional!

    Answer by deadpplrmyhero at 8:32 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • I was going to say to get that spackle stuff that patches holes and go over the entire wall until you have a smooth surface. *shrugs*

    Answer by Wish2Be at 9:38 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • My dad used to do plastering. The best thing to do is have a plasterer come in and smooth them for you. The would put fresh 'mud' on them and smooth it out. I suppose it is possible to use a belt sander and do it, but the time and the mess.....ugh the mess.....plaster dust an inch thick on everything in the whole house, plus you would be breathing it it.....shudders.

    Answer by slw123 at 12:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • Hire a professional to skim the walls to level the surface.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • I would hire a professional.

    Answer by Samanthamommy at 2:54 PM on May. 10, 2011