How do you help your marriage survive the stress of buying a new house?

I repeated a really bad habit of mine. I was talking to my mom and she said that buying a house was one of the worst trials in her marriage. I said something about how it seemed to be helping ours. Open mouth insert foot. I won't get entirely into it but the fight ended with him flipping me the bird and storming downstairs and me calling him a "jack a$$." Neither of us is acting like mature people tonight... Any hints? Suggestions? Survival tips? Thanks. Please don't bash... I'm not up to it tonight.

karischub

Asked by karischub at 10:02 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• It does involve some compromise. You really have to communicate and come to an agreement about what you really want. My hubby knew that a great kitchen was my must have and a man cave was his. Once you establish what you need and want, it will get easier. He had to be very firm about the budget b/c I would have took every dime the bank was willing to give us! In the end, we found something we both loved.
    Ttcbabyclegg

Answer by Ttcbabyclegg at 10:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It's all in how you look at things. I have never had a stressful experience with moving. It was always an exciting time.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 10:10 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't have advise but wanted to say GL!! HUGS!!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• To be honest, making extra money will ALWAYS help! I can't really help other than that because I don't know what it was about.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• we just closed on our new house in january. we didnt really fight much through the whole process though. the only time we argue is when his family is involved. lol. all i know to say is if you feel a fight coming on choose your battles. if it is not worth arguing over just drop it. good luck and congrats on buying a new house!!
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:11 AM on May. 10, 2011