If your child has ADHD?

Do you give your kids their meds only on school days or everyday?
Do you think a mom who doeasn't give it to the everyday is neglecting their child?
A friend of mine considers that neglect and I disagreed but I was wondering what your thoughts on it was.

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:06 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think medication decisions are best made between the parents, the child, and the physician. If the individual's needs are best met by not taking medication over the weekend, then it would be bad parenting to give them. On the other hand, since kids learn even on days that they aren't in school (especially in terms of social interactions) and it's in the child's best interest to have medication on the weekends, withholding it would be neglect. I think it's a more complicated and individualistic situation than a simplistic blanket statement could describe.

I will say this - I love people who think they can "parent" away ADHD. After struggling without meds for over two years, we finally medicated because my then second grader said he wanted to kill himself. People who think they understand that situation without living through it basically have their head up their ass.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my DD does not take medication for her ADHD. We actually just found out she has it and it is because she had a grand mal seizure and was in a coma for 11 days. After that she had a couple more small seizures and we think these affected her brain in funny ways. Since she is holding her own in school and on so much medication for the seizures we have not started any medication.

I will tell you this as your children get older if the medication helps them they will want to take it all the time. I have a friend whose son said to her one day "Mom, I need to take my medications everyday because they help me." So while I don't think it is neglect so to speak, I do think you need to listen to your child since they are the ones taking the medication. I know I take High Blood Pressure meds and I can totally see the difference if I miss a dose.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:18 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Ritalin..... and all its spin offs so much easier then Good Parenting

___________
    Oh, wow. I actually just saw that part of the comment. I didn't vote you down, because you are entitled to your opinion, but Honey, you must have never seen a severely ADHD child. Good parenting often has nothing to do with it. I would LOVE to see you keep this opinion with some of the kids I've seen.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• When we decided on medicating my son, we knew that his medication would benefit him most if he took it everyday. He takes Intuniv everyday, even weekends and summers. I wish that medication wasn't the route that we had to go but right now it's what will benefit him most . I wouldn't call it neglect but most medications need to be taken everyday to work to there full potential and to avoid ups and downs for the child.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My daughter has ADHD and we see a psychiatrist that is very well known to this area. She told me that most ADHD medicines are fast acting and do not stay in the child's system past a certain amount of hours therefore skipping weekends is purely optional. My daughter takes Concerta. She's 10 yrs old. I tried for several years to manage her ADHD without medication. I didn't want to have to drug my child. It got to a point to where I didn't have a choice. People who have never had to parent a child with ADHD have NO idea what it's like. My daughters behavior had gotten very irrational. She now REQUESTS to have her medicine before going to school because she said it helps her behave. She gets upset if we forget it. I don't always give it to her on the weekends. If she's having a good day then I let her skip it. No harm done. We've been doing it this way for a year & two months now. Only you & Dr know what's best for your children.
    Twilight_Mama

Answer by Twilight_Mama at 5:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• As a therapist I encourage parents to be thoughtful in their decision of when to not take it. If a child is so impulsive and is the type to climb on top of tge roof because she thought it would be funny or run with such wildness in the house she is likely to hit a table edge and need stitches....yes! Take the medication. Some children with this disorder live with very serious impulsivity issues. Children dx with ADHD are at greater risk for ending up in the ER with stitches or broken bones more frequently than children who do not live with this disorder. Know your child and weigh the risks vs. the benefits. If your child does not have impulsivity and hyperactivity as a serious safety concern - give the body a break. For some (not all) patients apeptite, weight, and even growth can be impacted. Two new medications that came out are nonstimulants but require to be in the system for several weeks before you see it
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:20 AM on May. 10, 2011

• The problem with not taking the meds on weekends it that the meds are not maintaining a consistant level in the body and could be causing the child to not meet their full potential in school. Meds typically do not stay in the body for 24 hours and out. It takes a few days for meds to take effect and again a few days to go out of the system.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My thoughts are that it's an individual decision based solely on what's best for the child in question.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Diet does NOT always work. I was tested at a near genius IQ but I was 'active'. Back then, they didn't really medicate, but my mother had heard of the Feingold diet (this was the 70s) I wasn't allowed sugar, artificial colors, etc. I was still 'active' and not very attentive. My mother used to tell me I was 'active', but I was unaware of my ADHD for the most part. My mother tried to work on my organization and I tried to follow it, but I just couldn't seem to do it. I grew up frustrated with myself, almost to the verge of hating myself because I just couldn't seem to stay organize no matter how much I tried or to do as well as I wanted to in school.

As an adult, I became aware of my ADHD and what a relief to know that there was a REASON I was the way I was. I honestly wish it was dealt with when I was younger. My mother tried, she was a good parent, but diet and the behavior mod just didn't work for me.
    Anonymous

• working. So those specific medications need a consistant presence. It would be neglect only if your child injures or hurts themselves, or others, as a result of not having the medication when tgere is a proven need to have it all the time. Such as a child who keeps coming into the ER for stitches, broken bones, or other injuries due to risky choices. In tge end a parent has to shoulder the risks vs. benefits. I would give my child a break if his safety is not compromised.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:24 AM on May. 10, 2011