Are pictures alone proof of abuse in a divorce court?

I have a video tape of myself with bruises up and down my arm from my husbands abuse. will that alone be proof enough of abuse in divorce court?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• i think so
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• IMO it's better than just your word against his.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It depends on the judge overseeing the case. Police reports are better. Pictures dont do too much. Even with witnesses who seen it happen or were there in the aftermath dont always help because it is considered heresay.
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• He's likely to argue that you did it to yourself or had someone else do it to you and took video to get him into trouble. I'd still present it, but if you have anything else, witnesses, police report, something, that would help a lot.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree with tropicalmama.

Pictures (even videotape) can be taken out of context, and dates and times can be altered. Unless you can secure signed and sworn affidavits from witnesses pertaining to physical abuse history, it will be considered here say. Unfortunately, I think you will need police reports in order to successfully state your case of abuse.

You're probably better arguing irreconcilable differences as the reason for your wanting a divorce.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008