Which school? Drugs or violence?

If you had 2 public schools in your area, and pretty much you where told your choices are to send your child to School A: Known for its Drugs, or School B: Known for Violence/gangs..
Which would you choose?
Why?

How does it make you feel parents have to hear these choices for their children?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:08 PM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• If those were my choices, then I would homeschool. You can actually hire a teacher to come to your house and teach your child.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would take either Option C (move to another school district) or D (online homeschool).
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• if I had no other options, ie online or home schooling I would go with the with drugs. I think that while there are drugs everywhere I can help my children more dealing with people who are trying to sell drugs. When I was in high school we had an undercover cop at the school because some of the kids sold drugs. I think that violence and gangs is a lot harder to deal with than drugs.

Just my opinion. Although I do think we are a little naive if we think that the schools are children are in don't have drugs and violence of some sort. It is very sad although somewhat true.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• homeschool
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 10:19 PM on May. 9, 2011

• It depends on the child. My oldest is a follower I wouldnt want her at the gange violence for she would be one that would be in the wrong place at teh wrong time. She is big on telling people they will die if they use drugs so not worried there. My youngest would be one who would want to try new things so I would have her in the gang one. But over all I would find a different school or find alot of activies to keep them very busy and way from the wrong crowd. :)
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 10:14 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Wow---I don't know where this came from? In my state,things are quite normal, relatively crime-free and I don't think there has to be a choice. A few inner city schools have some gangs....but basicaly the suburbs and the average family neighborhoods are pretty much "normal",know what I mean?
    If there was a choice I had to make? I could trust my kids to never want to go near drugs so I guess I would choose the school with drugs. But--this is just crazy. My kids are grown with their own kids and they would think this choice thing is unrealistic and way too pessimistic.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:17 PM on May. 9, 2011

• minne..
    this is what i heard this weekend about our local highschools. (outside of houston, tx).
    I grew up in this area (im 27yo) and know this is very true. I though dealing with gangs was normal until we moved to a new district..
    Also around here it seems the bad kids get slaps on the wrist & sent back to class time & time again. Yet the small timers (slips on cussing, not tucking shirt in, get sent in front of the JUDGE!)
    My nephew was 18 when they found dip in his truck (oops), the judge ruling was for my SISTER to quit smoking. and cussing in school gets parents sent to 12 weeks in parenting classes!
    It seems like around here school matter doesnt stay at school, but more often goes before a judge!
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I'd move to another school district
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:52 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If I had to choose between those two schools and hypothetically there were no other options, I'd have to base it on how much I trust my kids. If my parents had to have made that choice for me they would've picked the drug school because they taught me through their mistakes and the mistakes of others not to get into drugs. Honestly my high school did have a rep for both drugs and gangs; but I was never pressured in any way to get involved with either. And to be honest again I do smoke pot, but not often, I drink occasionally and I have never in my life used any other kind of illegal drug nor have I wanted to.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:09 PM on May. 9, 2011

• This is in our area too...we chose Catholic schools and are glad we did.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:05 PM on May. 10, 2011