How can i get my toddler to mind me!!!! no bashing pleeeaaase!

She is always saying no and wont listen when I tell her repeatedly to stop if she is doingnsomething naughty when she KNOWS not to. I always have to go and make her stop but she goes and does it again.....she also screams like a banshee in stores and Idk how to make her stop....is this normal behavior? I just need advice on how to discipline correctly to teach her listen to me....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are many ways and you have to find what works for you. You can try timeouts, diverting her attention, moving her away, etc. Mine is finally getting past that stage. It has been quite struggle. Next time she does it, watch her facial expression. My son does something he knows he's not supposed, while he's doing it he will smile and stare at me. She may also be trying to get your attention. There are many sites online that can help you too. Best of luck :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• She's doing this because of the reaction, and it's quite normal. I agree with amberdawnbarr, try different techniques until you find something that works... Each child is different, and unfortunately, there isn't a set punishment for them. It's all trial and error. Good luck! She WILL get it, you just have to be patient!
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:27 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my daughter makes her son go to time out ,if they get back up keep putting them back,be consistant,and it will pay off soon
    duwana

Answer by duwana at 10:27 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Thanks ladies! i appreciate it!! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Screaming in the store is easy. As soon as she starts to wind up, throw her over your shoulder and LEAVE. I used to work in retail and had adults walk into the store with screaming child, shop for two hours with screaming child, and walk out of the store with screaming child. It SUCKS to have to put up with that and not be able to do anything about it.

As for the stuff at home I throw in with the other moms that say you'll have to figure out what works the best; whether that's time outs, sending her to her room or distract and redirect.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:51 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies you have to try and figure out what discipline suits your child, at the age btw 1-2 I would try the redirection as a first option then go onto time outs if her behavior continues. Time out works well for my daughter, she hates it, she is now 3.5 though, but even in the toddler stage I used the pack and play as a time out if she was being defient. Good luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:57 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I completely agree with all the ladies above. I just want to add make sure you use a sturn tone in your voice so she knows you mean business. And don't give in follow through. Also pick your battles.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 11:35 PM on May. 9, 2011