Does ur 5 year old take a nap?

we r foster parenting my 5 year old niece and she only does morning kindergarten so she could take a nap! around 5pm she is so cranky and whiny! part of me thinks she is to old for a nap but if she needs one i guess its ok! she gets up at 7am and goes to bed at 830pm!
thanks ladies

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 10:55 PM on May. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Five is kind of old for a real nap time. You could have her lay down for "quiet time" for an hour & if she falls asleep, then she does but don't try to force a nap on her. And don't call it a nap! A 5 yr old is trying very hard to not be considered a "baby" anymore & naps are something babies do (in the mind of a 5 yr old anyhow). I would also try to push her bed time back to 8 instead.
    Anonymous

• My boys took naps...my choice. They are 5 and 6 and used to love maps with me when I was sahm. They just seemed in better moods the rest if the day.
    sarag1983

Answer by sarag1983 at 10:58 PM on May. 9, 2011

• yes I put my SD to sleep for an hour everyday at 1:30 that's when she gets a nap at school too and she's 5 she doesn't like naps but she takes them anyway Good Luck!! it will help in the evenings she'll be less cranky
    traren

Answer by traren at 11:03 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My son won't be 5 until August, but he stopped taking a nap a few months before he turned 3. He's in pre-k right now, so he's probably on a pretty similar daily schedule as your niece.

We had problems with crankiness, but discovered that the issue was that we were letting him stay up too late. We now try to start his bedtime routine around 7pm (which means he's usually asleep no later than 7:30-7:45, and he tends to wake up around 7:15 am. The difference in his behavior is astounding - the bad attitude totally disappeared, but when we get off schedule (usually due to out of town trips), he reverts back to a total fuss monster.

If you try to move her bedtime up, you will probably have to go in stages, perhaps 15 minutes earlier every 2-3 days. Good luck!
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:04 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My 5 yr old hasn't taken naps since he moved to a toddler bed (shortly before turning 3). He does sleep for about 12 hours every night though. I agree with the "quiet time" suggestion already given. She may not really need a nap, but just some down time to regroup and re-energize for the second half of the day. And like already mentioned, if she's really tired and needs a bit of extra sleep, she'll fall asleep during quiet time. I don't think there's anything wrong with still taking a nap at 5 (I'd have liked it if my little guy had napped past age 3 but it just wasn't something he needed apparently)
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 11:08 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No. Most of our children have stopped at about 1 1/2. Only two of them went to two years old.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• thanks ladies!!! my dd is 15 months so she naps and i love to quite time idea! we will move up her bed time too!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 11:12 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My son is 4 and still takes an hour and half nap everyday, he is so cranky otherwise! He will be going to AM Kindergarten starting in Sept, and I still plan on laying him down for at least a half hour after he gets home (He loves his sleep, so I think he'll sleep even longer).

My mom says I was still taking naps when I was 5, they weren't very long (maybe an hour), but she said I loved my sleep also and it put me in a much better mood!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 11:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I think all kids should take a nap or take time out to have quiet time for themselves. Relax, read a book, etc etc. You also need time to have your own space to unwind, even if it is only 1 hour. No hearing I want this or that. That is true most kids get cranky because their bodies are tired. I look forward to my quiet time ALONE/ Thanks. I hope everything works out for you. sweetmama933
    sweetmama933

Answer by sweetmama933 at 11:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• no naps
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:23 PM on May. 9, 2011