Thrush

Help Im going bananas!! My daughter got thrush after a round of antibiotics, which in turn gave me a yeast infection on my nipples!! Doctor gave me nystatin oral for my daughter and cream for my nipples. I even tried gen violet for 4 days. This has been going on since easter and it is showing no signs of going away, Im to the point of wanting to wean her because it hurts to bad. Any suggestions?

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 11:20 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son had thrush we went through two rounds of Nystatin that did nothing. But Gentian Violet worked like a charm. How did you use it? My LC told me to use a Q-tip to swab the inside of his whole mouth, inside his cheeks, tongue, gums, everywhere. And to swab my nipples as well. I did that once a day for 7 days and it cleared right up. But don't redip the q-tip or you'll contaminate the GV. You also need to sterilise anything that goes into baby's mouth, toys, paci's, spoons, sippy's - all of it needs to be washed really well or you'll just keep introducing the fungus back into baby's mouth. You'll need to sterilise your pump too. Good luck!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My son got thrush too and I got the oral goo for inside his mouth, but I also swabbed it with a mixture of baking soda and water before applying the goo. Also I wiped my nipples off with baking soda and water mixture after each feeding. It went away and haven't seen it since!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Chances are the two of you are just passing it back and forth to eachother...If she takes to a bottle at all either try that for awhile, or atleast alternate between the bottle and breast to give you a break. Either way I'd call the dr again. Good Luck!
    daina82

Answer by daina82 at 11:24 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I heard if you take a probiotic.. it will get into your milk and help your baby with thrush. You can get them at your local pharmacy. They worked great when I was BFing.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• make sure you wash your breasts with warm water and soft face cloth after each feeding to keep your baby from getting it again. Sounds weird but maybe put cold yogurt on your breasts to get it to go away on your skin. i feel your pain . It will get better. Good Luck.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:32 PM on May. 9, 2011

• when I had a yeast infection I took Probiotic and it went away.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• She refuses a bottle and my nipples hurt to bad to pump, tried formula and regular mild she is not having it!
    Fairy_Wings

Comment by Fairy_Wings (original poster) at 11:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Ask your doctor if an oral antifungal FOR YOU will help.

And don't forget to wash all blankets and clothes that get drooled on to keep her from giving it to herself down the road...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:58 PM on May. 10, 2011