My son is 17 months why can't he...

Many people have told me that my son should know more words then he does. He says things like mommy daddy and kitty and doggie. but other than that he doesn't really say any other words. I am afraid that he is going to be slow like his father.

Love_Levi

Asked by Love_Levi at 11:26 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, his father isn't a dumbass, is he? People will tell u he should be smarter, taller, smaller, bigger, all kinds of crap. Ignore them.
    Anonymous

• don't worry about it. boys language development is slower than girls. My son will be 2 in July and only has a handful of words in his arsenal. Give it time he'll learn :)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 11:29 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Could be, or he may not have anything he wants to talk about... Each child develops at their own pace. The only thing you can do is work with him and wait to see what happens. If he misses major milestones, or you're extremely concerned, talk to his doctor. Good luck :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:30 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Each child is different, dont listen to people who tend to lump all children together and brag with the intention of making others feel inferior about their childs development, and there are way too many people like that out there!! Boys are also often slower with talking than girls, there are many children that are just saying a few words at 17 mths, it is not out of the ordinary!! if your concerned though talk to your Dr and get his opinion on it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Most kids don't talk until they're closer to 2. My doctor told me that if he points and says "baa" every time he sees a dog, consider that a word. I call it toddler-ese. A "secret" language that only Mom and Dad know that baffles the rest of the world.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:31 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My son is almost 3 and barely says a few words. He understands directions though and that is what is important. Many children who talk "late" end up speaking in full sentences. If he is the oldest child then they also have a tendency to talk later as well. Don't compare your child to other children. Every child is different and one day you will wish he talked less :)
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• His dad and i split and i haven't seen him in about a year so for leaving his son he is stupid. He also dropped out of high school so that was dumb.
    Love_Levi

Comment by Love_Levi (original poster) at 11:35 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Hill_star03 Yeah I really wanted him to walk now i wish he would take a break...But anyways...I am glad for your input it really helps to know that my son is not the only one like this..
    Love_Levi

Comment by Love_Levi (original poster) at 11:40 PM on May. 9, 2011

• soon you'll be praying for him to be quiet! If he's not talking small sentences by 3 1/2 then i'd get him looked at.
    bingbong

Answer by bingbong at 12:53 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Boys tend to talk later than girls. Nobody really knows the reason why. I wouldn't worry until he is 2 yrs old. You can always have his hearing checked.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on May. 10, 2011