Where's the common sense in politcal ads?

Okay, so our Gov. is not the most liked right now by most parents. He has made HUGE cuts to education lately, even forcing some smaller school districts to dissolve. And his popularity as dropped accordingly, because let's be honest, republican, democrat, independent, or whatever, if you're kids education is being cut so that your governor can turn around and waste money paying for things like a "company car," private parking and new leather chairs, he's not going to be the favorite...

So, now, I'm watching some of the new ads, and I am SHOCKED how heavily this one hopeful is banking on this guys backing... He mentions that he's backed by the Governor like 5 times in this ad...

Now, regardless of what his actual politics are, I have to assume that this guy is an idiot if he's going to bank on the fact that a governor that no one likes is backing him... OR he's paying NO attention to what's going on! His kids must be homeschooled...

What about you, do you ever watch these political ads and think "Why would they put that in there?" What the dumbest thing you've seen?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The dumbest thing I've seen is the Conservative Party of Canada running attack ads against the leader of the Liberal Party when there's no election, just to remind people how bad he is.

But, since the Liberal party just got decimated in the election, I guess maybe it wasn't that dumb after all. My hatred of the Conservative Party may be bleeding into my answer a wee bit.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:37 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Which Governor?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:03 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I hate political ads. DVR was one of the greatest things ever invented! I don't watch a lot of tv, but I love being able to skip the junk.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:45 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Hard to assess if I think it is stupid, without knowing what state you're referring to.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:50 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Your question alone made me giggle.

I am curious which state as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yeah, every time I see an ad with Obama in it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:35 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Strangely, name value- even if it's a hated name- seems to be worth something.

And attack ads, as much as we hate them and they are almost always inaccurate, are the most successful

But having an ad without an election, that is the craziest tihng I've heard of

And none of these ads have any value. Sad. I refuse to watch political ads. I just check out the candidates' beliefs from a website and carry on from there.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:40 PM on May. 10, 2011