How do I get my son to stop coughing?

He's 7 months old and the last few nights he's had an awful cough. It's a dry cough. We live in a desert and it's been really windy lately. I have a humidifier going in his room, but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

jnhill

Asked by jnhill at 11:45 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Vapor rub on his chest back small of back and a touch under his nose. He will be fine and if you have a cool mist humidifier he will sleep all night.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 11:47 PM on May. 9, 2011

• i know this sounds funny but put vapor rub on the bottom of his feet and put his socks on over that right before bed. also have him drink a small cup of milk before he goes to sleep to coat his throat. Good Luck!
    MomDW

Answer by MomDW at 11:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• vick on the feet then cover with socks! I swear by it!!! it works very well!!!! but only on the bottom of the feet!!!!! he's too young to put it anywhere else!!!!!!
    traren

Answer by traren at 11:58 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I used to do the vicks thing also.....not sure how much it helped. Make sure you buy the baby vicks and they even have an outlet plug with vicks you can buy. Also make sure he doesnt have asthma.......he may need an enubulizer for breathing.
    suechuk

Answer by suechuk at 12:03 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I would be super careful about using any Vicks with babies. There was a recent study that said it makes congestion worse.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1384997/vicks_vapo_rub_bad_for_babies_and_young.html?cat=25
    Give him a long hot bath before bed, elevate the head of the crib definitely a humidifier and turn your heat down a bit, can be drying. After three days of a bad cough I would take him to the pediatrician.
    Good luck!
    Stef (the nanny from http:// askananny.com)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 10:59 PM on May. 10, 2011