How do i bond with stepson

the relationship with my 10 yr old stepson is not good. he says he hates me and that i treat him wrong. i try to do things with all three kids but they argue so much that its more trouble than any thing to just go to the park. what are some things he my be intrested in that his sisters can do also. how do srtengthen our relationship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Hard for someone who doesn't know him to say what he's interested in... talk to his father for ideas, and try some individual activities with HIM only, not with the girls. It's OK to do things separately!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I'd do something with him, just the two of you. Maybe a little one on one time will do your relationship good. No distractions, no siblings, just you and your stepson. I bet it wouldn't be any time at all that he'd warm up to the idea.

Summer is coming and there are lots of outdoor activities you can do with him and his sisters. Have a water balloon fight, run through the sprinkler, swim, picinic. Just spend time together and have fun and forget the rest.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 12:01 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Why not sit down and ask him? Maybe he is still not used to the family situation and you should take it slow find out what he even likes and move on from there.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:29 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Why not spend time with just him? Your other kids do not have to be invovled. As a matter of fact, you could spend alone time with each one of them. Do things that interest him on his day with you and follow that with the other kids, one at a time. Spend time talking with him and getting to know him. Dinner, lunch, ice cream, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I would try and spend some alone time as much as possible...... whatever makes him happy. skate park, batting cages, etc. Maybe if he's into art you could take a sketching class together or something. make him feel important and the sibling stuff will come.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Alone time for sure!!!!
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 5:25 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Have you asked him what it is that you do that makes him feel like you're treating him wrong? Maybe take him to do something he likes maybe a ball game or movie? Good Luck!
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 11:24 PM on May. 15, 2011