My 4 yr old stepped on an injured bird and killed it and didnt have remorse.....I am worried about this behavior or am i overreacting?

suechuk

Asked by suechuk at 11:58 PM on May. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children demonstrate empathy at 7. There's a program I used to teach that helped children identify their emotions n that of others. It's amazing how clueless some adults can be at hurting others feelings.
    When he gets hurt, ask him where does it hurt? On the injury, his chest (heart). Does he feel a knot in his throat? Etc. Help him identify these emotions.
    When he witnesses another child hurt, remind him of his own feelings of pain. N to notice how the other child is expressing that pain (crying, tantrum, etc).
    It's an ongoing process. Just make sure ur always working on it. Don't expect him to learn it on his own. We have are selfish before we are considerate of others.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:10 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I must be incredibly gifted because I stepped in a bird when I was that age, brought it home and we took care of it. I was very upset. Its not normal not to give a shit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i would just talk to him about it i dont think you have anything to worry about.
    momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 12:53 AM on May. 10, 2011

• When someone gets sick, hurt, etc. bring up the subject and talk to him about it. Tell him how you feel and then ask him how he feels. That way he can learn to get in touch with his feelings.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i doubt at 4 that he even really understands what he did.. i agree with vero0724 on this.. my dd is three and when i compair hurting to things like a bump on the head from jumping on her bed she gets it.. but she doesnt think about it always before doing something.. (like i have to remind her sissy is not like her dollys, you can't poke at her, yell near her, etc) sometimes she remembers sometimes she doesnt.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• It's been proven that children cannot demonstrate empathy until they are a bit older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on May. 10, 2011

• When my son was 3 he stomped on a baby lizard. He totally didn't get it, I mean he could stomp on bugs, what's the difference?
    He is 5 now and, yes, still stomps on bugs, but wouldn't hurt a bigger animal. Maybe becaue he's had pets since then? Maybe because he just understands more now.
    But still....Poor bugs lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:29 AM on May. 10, 2011