Does it sadden you when in public your child isn't acknowledged?

My son had a follow up dr appt this morning after an ER visit last week and he went to the front desk and said his name, that he had a new insurance card since his last visit and was so sweet/polite/adorable and I was SO SO SO proud of him. The receptionist ignored him like he was a bug and only talked to me and didn't thank him or speak to him in any capacity. :(

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:11 AM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well she sounds like a real sweetheart! Some people should just NOT work with the public! Sorry she did that to your son...I hope his feeling weren't too hurt.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:13 AM on May. 10, 2011

• That's rude. Everyone notices my daughter though. It kind of annoys me! We go places and some adult men have tried to hit on her and she is 13. Good thing she has a Dad who talks to her.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 12:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

• The less attention, the better, in public... LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:16 AM on May. 10, 2011

• How old is he? That does sound so very sweet and adorable, and yes I'd be sad and offended by the rude receptionist. Thankfully my kids haven't been snubbed like that, at least not recently that I recall. But some adults are real a$$es when it comes to dealing with and encoraging kids. I'd have been so proud too. *hugs*
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:18 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Ignore it. She says kids everyday all day long. U can't expect everyone to be as excited about ur Childs accomplishments. I would have praised him right away n in front of her. Just so she remembers me n my kid ;)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:19 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Sees not says
    Vero0724

• Awe...that makes me sad that it happened to your son. I'm so aggressive though I might have said in front of her, "I'm sorry that she's ignoring you son, you did very well and I don't think she is intending to be so rude to you."
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 12:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• That's just rude! I worked in a children's hospital for years, and the one thing we were taught, was that we must speak to the child, NOT the parents. We can talk to the parents to give them the info they need, but try to keep the child in the conversation as much as possible so as to make them feel comfortable and included.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:26 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I HATE that. Especially when my child is speaking directly to a person. I usually say " he/she said...whatever" to the person and make them respond at least some how. People are so rude sometimes.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:29 AM on May. 10, 2011

• aww poor kid.. the lady sounds like she's got a bug up her..__.. I'm sorry your son had to deal with a woman like her, but I would be proud of him regardless.
    My 3 year old attracts so much attention it's hard just to leave the store.. even when it's obvious my 4 month old is fussing and wants to get out of there.. my 3 year old attracts old ladies like moths to a light, and of course she's so talkative and polite she doesn't know when to say, "gotta go, my sister is fussing". So yes I feel your pain.. while my 3 year old gets all this attention people always ignore the fact that my baby is fussing and wants to go...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:49 AM on May. 10, 2011