How would you feel? would you confront them?

my brother has come home for 14 days..(he is a marine) he has been spending every waking moment with this new girlfriend and HER family. they promised to stop by my house tonight and ended being a no call no show. my son was pretty upset. I did tell my brother that he should have called even if it were to tell me he was not coming. but should i say more? should i tell him how shitty he is being to his family? what do you think? any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I would. He should make time for both his family and his girlfriend's.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:28 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't, but I may be biased since I was the girlfriend ;) He is now my husband and that time we spent together while he was on leave was magical. His family understood, and they were glad he was so happy and had someone to make his time overseas more bearable, and we are both grateful for that.

It is rude of him to not call or show, especially since you have a young child, but if ever there was a time to let it go and give him some space and the benefit of the doubt, I'd say this is it. As much as he loves you, when he's overseas, fighting to get home alive, he's thinking of her face (and body).. hehe. Let him enjoy it while he can.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 12:36 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I think it's good that you told him he should have called. As adults, we get over it when someone bails on us, but kids get their feelings hurt when people don't show up. Maybe suggest a barbeque and invite the GF and family over, as well, so every one gets to see your brother?
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 12:40 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Nope, you had your say now get over it. Let him live his life. Doesn't he deserve happiness? He didn't take your child to raise. That's your job. It's not his duty to visit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I think you did what was best.. suggested he should have called.. berating further will only cause more arguements. If he's thoughtful, he'll take your advice, if not, he won't and it's best just to move on and basically just let him do his thing and you do yours. I know he's your brother, you miss him and yes he is acting sort of selfish.. but he's gonna do what he's gonna do either way.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:44 AM on May. 10, 2011

• no he just blinded that s normal just call him an tell him u miss him an that when will you stop bye dont get angrey at him or her
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 1:44 AM on May. 10, 2011

• It was wrong for him to not even call but let it go so as not to ruin what time he does share with you. Try to understand that he is fitting 6 months worth of a relationship into just these 2 weeks and while he knows family will always be there he may feel the need to put extra effort into this girl so that he can feel confident in holding it together until his deployment is over. Maybe it's not fair, but this girl could end up being his wife and I'd want to spend every moment with my guy on his r&r too.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:12 AM on May. 10, 2011

• USE your power of will
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:46 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I think you are right to call him and tell him that 'if you had other plans you should have called and told me you would not be coming over'. I would just leave it at that, because if you start in on him about how he is spending all his time with gf he might get defensive and it could cause upset to everyone. I like a previous answer--- about having a get-together or family BBQ and invite the gf to come along as well... that way you will get a chance to see your brother. It will be win/win for your brother, as he can then see his family and be with the gf.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:53 AM on May. 10, 2011

• he has made it clear to everyone that everything he does he will be doing with her. i did invite both of them over
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 AM on May. 10, 2011