How do I get a deposit back from a college dorm?

I put down a deposit on a dorm at a college for the fall and now my daughter changed her mind. Fine. So I called the old college up and ask to cancel the dorm room and they informed me the deposit in non-refundable. The cut off for refunds was May 1st and It is to late.
I'm not going to let this drop because it is $250 and right now with my husband just going back to work from his lay-off that is alot of money and it can be used as a deposit on the new dorm.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:34 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm sorry that you are having financial difficulties, but that will not help you in this situation.

Personally, I would hold my daughter accountable. She should be paying back the deposit (whether it be in cash or trade in housework is up to the parent) seeing that, by letting her off the hook, you are teaching her that a commitment is NOTHING, and by YOU fighting what is a clear cut rule, you are BEGGING her to act the same in her life...so if you don't want a string of landlords and bankers calling you up because your daughter has broken a lease or broken the terms of a loan, best to set it straight now. A deposit is USUALLY non-refundable after a certain point, and it's your responsibly to know when that is.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 10:04 AM on May. 10, 2011

• The whole point of the deposit is to hold the space for your daughter. If she decides not to go you inconvenience the college because they could have given that spot to someone else. Chances are you AREN'T getting it back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I'd tell dd to get a job and pay me back. Rules are rules and she should have made a note of the May 1 deadline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I am tempted to do that but for now I have told her I am no longer paying any deposit on anything and she is on her own as far as that goes
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 4:26 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i agree, she needs to pay you back. you probably will NOT get your money back. most deposits are non-refundable. a friend of mine just lost $500 deposit on an apt b/c she changed her mind. live and learn!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:03 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Never leave a deposit if u are not sure and check to see was it listed as non refundable
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:10 AM on May. 10, 2011