post partum depression

So 5 months ago i had my daughter and had a hell of a time when i came home so my doc put me on lexapro but the cost of it make her switch me to prozac and I have gain alot of weight I havent lost any of my weight from my pregnacy yet and I want to go back on lexapro i loved the way i felt and everything was much better then this prozac it makes me not feel like doing crap. do you think if i talk to my doc there is a way she could contact my insurance and tell them this. I dont want to get off the meds right now because i have a horrible time in my life coming up my husband is leaving january 9th to go to iraq for tour number 2. I dont think i can handle my daughter just yet with out the help of the meds I'm new at all this.

dewey_scoles

Asked by dewey_scoles at 11:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Health

• First off, im really sorry to hear that.

I was suffering from PPD really bad. You need to make sure that you really are suffering from it first. People easily mix up PPD and the baby blues. Huge difference there!
    Some doctors just say "oh, ok its ppd. here take this med!".. but they dont really check the patients if its really ppd. this is a serious illness and requiers good care and great doctors with a lot of knowledge about this illness.

When i started feeling really bad i went to my reg. doctor. She kinda thought about ppd, but they had to send me to diff. docs to make sure. Had to go to my OBGYN and they sent me to a psychologist who is educated in PPD.

...continue...
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• (continue...)

Its important that you go to a psychologist as well if you really suffer from PPD. Those medications only make you feel better, but they wont solve the problem.. at all! And if you dont want to live on meds for the rest of your life and if you want to be a happy mommy again, then please go and get professional help.

I wish you the best luck in the world. Hang in there! I know what youre going through. Its not easy to get better, but its possible. It takes time, effort and the support and love of your family!
    m.robertson811

• Many, many women with PPD need meds for at least a year, most need them longer. So you are very right - do not go off them for now.
    Yes, talk to your doctor. A phone call request will be fine if you don't want to go into the office. Just explain that you really felt better on the lexapro and are wondering if she can contact the insurance company about covering it. The worst she (or they) can say is no.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2008