When your plan your kid's bday party, do you cook/plan what your kid wants?

My sweet pea will be 4 soon and I asked her exactly what she wants. I really want to make the day about her, cause it is her day!

She asked for turkey dogs, a veggie platter with hummus, grilled asparagus, black bean salsa, salad, cucumbers and a specific kind of cake .

Everyone is saying that I am catering to her and not to the guests. I should serve red meat or other types of things for the guests. I say I make what we would normally eat. If they don''t like it then they can eat afterwards.

Honestly ladies....am I wrong? Should I make other things for the very few other guests?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 1:05 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Of course I make my son what he wants on his birthday. His birthday is HIS day, it's about him, not about catering to who is there. They eat what is served or they eat nothing. A child's birthday is about the CHILD not the guests. I stopped doing what my family wanted and started making my son's birthday party about him and what he wanted. If people complain, you can ask them to bring a dish to the party.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I see where ya'll are coming from and appreciate your insight.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Thanks tyfry! I just can't see myself buying items that we do not ever eat. I am sticking to my plan and everyone can eat or not eat. If I were a vegetarian then I would not cook meat for people, right?
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on May. 10, 2011

• honestly, you're already making turkey dogs. slap some normal hot dogs and some burgers in there too. Get some potato chips. Then she gets what she wants and guests have something they like.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:10 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I think if you want your guests to attend future parties, you'll be more considerate about their preferences.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 1:07 AM on May. 10, 2011