Using "F" sound for "TH"

I've often times heard people use the "F" sound instead of the "TH" sound. For instance, instead of saying youTH, they say youF. Or instead of saying noTHing, they say noFing.

Yet I don't understand it. I highly doubt if there are schools out there in America that teaches the pronunciation of TH as "F." So why do it?

I'm talking about ADULTS, not CHILDREN.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've heard it quite often. I used to work in a restaurant and people would come in and ask for a "boof" I honestly wasn't sure if they actually knew it was booth or if they just couldn't pronounce it, because it was common to hear it!

Answer by missanc at 8:12 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Thanx Anon =) I honestly do appreciate you taking it out =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:19 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I spent 4 months living in London in college and that's how all the local kids I met talked. Nothing was more like nuffink.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:33 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't do it and to be honest with you, black, white or purple the only people I've ever heard do it were children...I know you didnt mean to offend but I do wish I would stop running across posts talking about how black people do this and black people do that...It's starting to give me a complex lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

• its just slang.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:17 AM on May. 10, 2011

• How have you "heard" it from people on here? How do you know how they're pronouncing something out loud? I've honestly never heard adults doing it unless they were playing and talking in a baby voice.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:34 AM on May. 10, 2011

• ive heard it too, but it was from uneducated people or people with accents.. although i dont know where the accent was from...
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 2:38 AM on May. 10, 2011

• my husband sometimes talks that way but only because he is still learning

english0
    3.03.+
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 6:35 AM on May. 10, 2011

• 3.03+ lol this is what happens when my 9 month old wants to help me type!! haha
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 6:36 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Sorry this is not racist it is fact...where we live, blacks do this. It is what it is..not racist...it's just how they talk. I don't know why though. I know a lot of Latino's in our area say things like chirt and chose for shirt and shoes but that is because in Spanish there is no SH sound...so it is common.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:51 AM on May. 10, 2011