BakE sale permit?? Trying to make money...

I am thinking of having a bake sale on a weekend here in my neighborhood. I need to make money and haven't had any luck at all with finding employment. I did hear about a lemonade stand being shit down once because they didn't have a permit, I don't remember when it happened or what state but I'm wondering if it's true. Anyway do you have any ideas on hoe to make money or have you ever held bake sales? I won't lie, I'm kinda embarrassed to do it but I'm thinking about it. How much to charge for each throng like cupcakes, cake, brownies, cookies.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 1:15 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'd call wherever they give out permits and ask. Our's is at the County Tax Collector's Office. Each community is different. Some places will allow sales without a permit if it's a one time thing like a yard sale but if it's going to be an ongoing stand there may need to be a permit. You might want to visit another bake sale and check their prices or go to a bakery and see the size & price of items then go from there. Since you are providing the ingredients you may want to take in to consideration the cost of baking each item. At our library bake sale all items are donated so we sell them really cheap. For example, 3 cookies = 25 cents, 1 (2 inch square) brownie & cupcake= 50 cents. Cakes depend on the size but the last one we sold was $5.00. It was a 2 tier 8" round cake with basic icing. We've sold sheet cakes for more and Hummingbird cakes (more ingredients and more layers) for up to $15.00.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:33 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Lol you must be in a cussing mood tonight. No, but seriously I wouldn't be embarrassed at all, in fact las summer I held a bake sale/ yard sale and advertised it in the paper. Just get a permit from your town if they require one and ask people if they have anything to donate before the big sale like time/ salable goods.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:32 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Be safe and get one they are under 20
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:08 AM on May. 10, 2011

• p.s. remember that if you live in a hot area, baked goods melt fast and presentation is important when selling food so the earlier in the day the better.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Hahahhhhaa I didn't know what you were talking about until I went back and read it! LOL stupid touch screen gets me everytime!
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 1:36 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i would check first. have you ever considered your own business? contact me for more info...
    good luck!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:00 AM on May. 10, 2011

• There are regulations when you want to make food for sale, usually including the need for THREE sinks in the kitchen the food is being made in.

There are also costs involved in doing a business that many people are not aware of, and that is what sinks most businesses in the first three years.

I feel for you, and wish you luck, and if you are serious about needing a solid income, check out my webpage www.greenMOMteam.com and fill in the Get the Details. You will then see a short video on how our team helps moms work from home...if you are then interested in learning more, you can book an appointment to see one of our webcasts.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 9:48 AM on May. 10, 2011