My kid watched porn and told me

my 10 year old DD was at a slumber party last weekend and she told me today that her and three other girls her age looked up dirty words on the computer and watched dirty stuff, she said. I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to tell the other parents, I am embarassed and I didn't want the other girls (sisters) blame my DD, so I told my kid how to delete the browsing history and the goggle browsing history, and she told them, I didn't know what else to do , but I think I screwed up, I don't think I should have done that. What should I have done, what the hell do I do now, at first I thought the girls were just curious you know how kids are when they get together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• hmmm wow!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on May. 10, 2011

• This is why you don't allow kids on the pc without adult supervision. And yeah, you screwed up. Only thing you can do is come clean. Inform the parents. All of them are to blame, your DD included.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I know my DD is partially to blame, I just think the other parents will not see that their kids are. I am not one of those parents that think their kids are perfect I just don't know what to say to the other parents, I guess, now I feel like an ass for helping the girls cover it up. I did that with my ex step dd all the time, I was always covering up for her drinking and drugs, and money issues. I don't know how to parent, I am not good at it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:30 AM on May. 10, 2011

• just tell them the truth :) I dont think you messed up i think you freeked out its natural to be caught off guard and its natural for girls to be curious about boys say you didnt want your dd to get into trouble thats why you helped them delete it but you wanted them to know b/c its their home and their computer. I hope this helped and Im sure everything will be fine :)
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 4:01 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Do you have any idea how many disturbing images there are on the internet? Ten year olds don't need to see that kind of thing. You should tell their parents. Stop being an enabler!
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 4:13 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yeah, you screwed up, but I can understand you not wanting to put your daughter in a bad position, especially since she talked to you about it.

I would have told my daughter to tell the girls she didn't know how to delete the history then called the other parents and told them to check their browsing history, after explaining the situation.

You should be proud that your daughter is willing to be honest with you.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:08 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Id be proud of the fact she came and told you anything. That shows good parenting on your part alone because so many kids would be too scared to tell their mom the truth these days with so many helicopter moms out there. So, you did something right. I think I would talk to the other mom when you have a chance is all. I would tell her it was brought to your attention and you just thought she ought to know what went on. Kids will explore and look at things they arent supposed to, with or without access to the internet. I mean how many boys in this world saw naked ladies in magazines before computers were around?

Answer by gemgem at 7:15 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I def give kudo's to your relationship with your daughter. Awesome that she came to you with this. I realize that kids are kids and at 10 years old they are curious. If anyone is to blame its the parents of the girls where your daughter was. Kids will be kids, but if someone elses child is at my house, I would be diligent on whats happening. Let your daughter know that she did the right thing. I personally would let it go at that. If the girls parents question you.........ask them why YOUR daughter was put in a position of this stuff happening at there house in the first place..........
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:17 AM on May. 10, 2011

• like others have said, good she told you! I'm not sure how you are to blame for this, it wasn't your house or computer, and you're dd didn't act alone. i would be honest and tell them. Me, i would actually be pissed at the parents whose house she stayed at for poor supervision, but what's done is done. I would sit your dd down and explain honestly that it's called porn and about the porn industry. Explain to her that it demeans people and sexuality, and like drugs, some people still do it even though it is wrong. Now, i personally don't beleive it's wrong if it's an adult doing it, their choice. but i wouldn't tell my kid that at a young age. in time you can have more in depth conversations about whether it's right or wrong for adults....key word-adults.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 10, 2011

• its okay.. i'd just come clean to the other parents..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 PM on May. 10, 2011