TSA Patdowns, Anyone have statistics on criminals caught?

We keep hearing of babies and toddlers being patted down. But never hear whether these pat downs are actually catching criminals. Anyone know of any stories or statistics that show if its actually worth invading our privacy?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 1:23 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd suggest you might consider the number 0

Meaning, yes, they find that you forgot to remove your full sized toothpaste from your carry on or that you have stinky feet or even, every now and then a tiny knife that wouldn't cut butter but as far as them finding a true terrorist with a bomb or weapon(or even the daughter or mother of one) in one of these people is nil. I was thinking about this the other day after hearing a local story about yet another small child being groped. We should be enraged about this, not just the groping of our children and selves but the total idiocy of the whole plan. It's not going to happen the way they see it. Their warped views of who will be next blowing us up is disgusting and invasive to our freedoms. Why are we allowing ourselves and our lives to be violated in this way?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:32 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Statistics would be nice, but if you got real numbers you wouldn't have the illusion that you are safer today than you were before they started the enhanced pat downs. After all, perception is reality.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:16 AM on May. 10, 2011

• No, I don't. But each time DH forgets to remove his watch for security, they give him a Patdown. He loves it.
    the TSA needs to stop looking for objects and start looking at people. IMO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:18 AM on May. 10, 2011

• How dare you question the TSA. {sarcasm}

I agree OP. Statistics would be nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I want to know, why you can go through security and on to the terminals sections, and then get a meal where they give you a steak and potato and a large cold beer. the steak, yes, they hand you a sharp steak knife to eat it with. After you've gone through the patdown. And axes are available next to the fire extinguishers on the friggin walls.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:01 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I've seen them throw out some guy's shaving gel and I've seen them thoroughly search a small child in a wheelchair. So I know they're keeping us all safe.

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:49 AM on May. 10, 2011

• And you had to post this the night before I fly......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on May. 10, 2011

• lol. Sorry. I don't fly. I just wonder if all the nonsense actually is making a difference. On the TSA website the only thing mentioned is this. (That I could find).

I want to see actual news stories or a breakdown of statistics. What was found, and on who? Was there actually babies/children patted down that had dangerous items on them? So far, I've not found a thing.

I'm sure their finding something, just not sure if its related to terrorists! I'm guessing its more about the items they deem too dangerous to carry, and people who disagree and/or are just uninformed about the flying rules.

SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 2:04 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Jewjewbee, I've never flown so haven't really a clue about what happens on the plane. But is the knife dull on the end like most restaurants give? I would think so. If not thats really dumb!
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 9:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:53 PM on May. 10, 2011