I know its rough but come on...

Do you think parents should even use any of their scarce funds to buy gifts when they've been laid off are about to loose their home and have no groceries? I went through a Christmas when I was little with no presents and its the one I remember most for being so wonderful because we made presents for our mom and dad, we didn't even care that we didn't have anything. We were just happy that it was Christmas and we could spend the day together..what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Money & Work

• i agree,,,,,,,its too commercial!!!!
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree. I have friends and family facing almost certain bankruptcy (some were even denied bankruptcy and are being foreclosed on) and they insist on making this Xmas the best one ever for their kids by splurging more than usual. I just don't get it!

If it came to keeping a roof over my head and food on my table or buying stuff for Xmas, I'll keep the house and groceries.
    Anonymous

• I think the children will understand too. Something like a story around the fireplace or staying up late in the living room and telling stories from your childhood would even be memorable for the kids.
    Anonymous

• It's wrong...they are sending the wrong message to their kids...the same message that got them into the situation in the first place. Our society, for the last 30 or so years, has lived way beyond its means and we are paying for it. Having a "lean" Christmas is a good lesson to the kids about money (parents CAN put a positive spin on it) and it's also a lesson about gifts being gifts...not something that is required.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 12:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I think maybe because my parents both were one of 5 and my husband and I are both one of 5 (combo marriages) that we have never spent tons and tons on our kids on Christmas. They receive so much from Aunts and Uncles and Grandparents that it seems to over flow the house. We have giving rules for nieces, nephews and siblings. Nothing over $25.00 and once you have kids you don't get gifts from your siblings, just your kids will. I may spend $100.00 per child for my own kids, but I start in August so it never seems like I've purchased that much. My husband and I do stockings for each other and when tax return time comes around we do something together a bit bigger - like a vacation. I know for my kids it is all about the toys, I'm just trying to minimize the greed.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree completely. Most of the kids these days have too much and don't appreciate anything that they have. If things are tight, there is nothing wrong with making homemade presents; they are the nicest ones anyway; they come from your heart, not the store.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Children only play with the toys that day or a few days...they dont understand bills and such most of the time. Christmas should be about helping others and family...not having the most toys. I try to teach the kids the value of helping, and being humble. We donate more than anything and a lot of the families complain about not having a tree or such,when their children are needing warm clothes and food. It just bothers me. Sometimes the right thing and smart way isn't the easiest. I'd much rather have my babies well fed and warm,than a bunch of toys they will get of overtime. A lot of kids have too much and don't understand the value of hard work and being humble and respectful.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My favorite childhood xmas memory had nothing to do with toys or (material) gifts of any kind really; times were lean so to make our holiday special, my mom set up a picnic-type dinner in the living room for xmas (holiday food but on a tablecloth on the floor near the tree). This was a big deal for us because my parents had strict rules about only eating at the kitchen table; this was different and it was so much fun. I believe the only (material) gifts we got that year were pajamas from my grandmother because that's what we really needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2008