On average, how much does it cost to get a newborn circumcized?

I live in Virginia. And are they circumcised immediately or-? Annnd last question, do you need to have the money upfront, and with you when you go into labor? Thanks!

Racheliny

Asked by Racheliny at 1:50 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When i lived in FL it wasn't coered and we weren't aware that the money was needed up front. It was $250 and we fot it done at the office when he was about 2wks old. With my second in PA it was covered and done before we left the hospital
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:59 AM on May. 10, 2011

• They do it before you leave the hospital. They usually take the money when you checkout if u have a copay or they send u the bill and u make payments. My copay is $5.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:54 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I live in WA and I know it costs about $300 on average and you have to go to the DR to get t done, only some hospitals do it on newborns and yes you have to have the money upfront because most insurance companies don't cover it. Call your hospital and ask
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:55 AM on May. 10, 2011

• in my state for medical assistance and the largest medical insurance companies (such as blue cross, medica, etc) it's considered cosmetic surgery and not covered, PERIOD. So every bit of it would be considered cosmetic and entirely out of pocket. (as it should be....) but the fee will vary from hospital to hospital and pediatrician to pediatrician. don't scrimp of course.... get him proper pain relief if you must do it. (a pacifier or sugar soaked gauze is not pain relief)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:02 AM on May. 10, 2011

• at our hospital the current out of pocket fee is $239
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 2:52 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I heard it is around 250 TO 300 out of the hospital around here but things are different everywhere.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• some hospitals don't do it and they have it done at the Dr's office when the baby is a few weeks old, You can always set up a payment plan
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Have you really looked into it? Are you sure you want to remove the most sensitive part of your son's sexual organ?
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 8:15 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Im in mississippi, and it cost $170. We had it done at 2wks old at his peds office.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Thanks to everyone who actually answered the questions! :P
    Racheliny

Comment by Racheliny (original poster) at 6:00 PM on May. 11, 2011