HOW DO I GET MY 2 YAR OLD TO USE THE POTTY?? I TRIED THE TARGETS AND HE GETS THEM OUT OF THE POTTY AND WE TRIED GETTING HIM TO SIT AND HE GETS BORED REALLY QUICK EVENT WITH HIS FAVORITE TOY. BUT HE WILL DO IT FOR MY MOTHER IN LAW JUST NOT ME. WHY??????

ILUVMYKIDSTOO

Asked by ILUVMYKIDSTOO at 11:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you sit in there with him? Do you act really bored when you try to train him? If so that could be why, if you're not enthusiastic as Grandma then he'll be bored too. I would sit in the bathroom with my son and have some books and just wait, when it happened he got all kinds of praise so he knows that's what he has to start doing. Also, my son was ready..is your son really ready?
    Anonymous

• YES HE IS READY HE TELLS ME WHEN HE HAS POTTIED IN HIS PANTS AND I AM ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT IT TOO, WE ARE DOING THE SAME THING, HE JUST WANT GET OUT OF MY BUTT LONG ENOUGH TO DO IT, WE TRY BOOKS, TOYS, I KNOW THIS IS DISCUSTING BUT WE EVEN TRIED HIS FAVORITE SNACK. I KNOW HE READY CAUSE HE DOES IT FOR HER JUST WHY NOT ME???
    ILUVMYKIDSTOO

Answer by ILUVMYKIDSTOO at 12:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Sit him backwards on the potty with a book. Give him as much praise as possible and get really excited as silly as it sounds. Sometimes little ones can be scared and it is better if they can see themselves going "potty". Let him have a sticker to decorate the back of the potty when he is done, or put together a prize basket of inexpensive trinkets for everytime he actually goes.
    PhlyLuvzOwain

Answer by PhlyLuvzOwain at 12:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You have to sit in with him. Try reading a book he loves. Some kids respond well to the "sticker system." If you give them one star sticker (on a chart) for going potty on toilet but take two away for accidents some kids like that. Then set a goal with them. Like 15 star stickers in a week he gets to go to wal mart and pick out a toy. Grandmas spoil kids. He probably gets treats for going. Although I disagree with giving kids candy for going potty I do agree with some other form of reward. Kids need instant gratification. Good luck!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Ask your MIL what she does differently. She may be stricter with him so he may respect her more (ie kids like consistant rules). Maybe she has a different or unusual approach that he just likes better.
    Anonymous