What can I do about my daughter's bedwetting?

My daughter is 10 yrs old and still wetting the bed. Her doctor gave her some sort of medicine that is supposed to help with that and it was helping a little bit. Well, now it's back full force. She is absolutely SOAKING the bed twice per night even though she wears pullups. I have to keep thick plastic over the mattress to protect the bed. Every day I have a huge pile of sheets, blankets and her pillow to wash. It's wearing me out! The house stinks because of all the urine. I do my best to clean everything up, but we still have the smell. She hasn't increased her liquid intake. People say don't let her have anything to drink after 7 or 8 PM, but that's easier said than done. I can't afford one of those bed wetting alarms. Is there anyone who has gone through or is going through this that might have some advice? On top of this she has ADHD so I am pretty stressed and tired.

Twilight_Mama

Asked by Twilight_Mama at 3:53 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she doesn't have anything to drink after dinner, then that'd pretty much eliminate the problem. Short of figuring out the cause and treating it, you're going to HAVE to limit her fluid intake until some meds work. It seems like you're exhausting yourself because you can't control what she's drinking or when. She absolutely HAS to have some sort of restriction on her fluid intake once it passes a certain time. If she doesn't, then that's just gonna be one hellacious night for you. I can't imagine going through it as an adult. It was terrible enough experiencing it as a kid.

No fluid - No Urine - No problem.

Wish you luck Mama. Might wanna get back in with that doctor asap!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on May. 10, 2011

• She complains of being thirsty and gives me a hard time. I know it probably sounds like I am being too easy and I guess I am in some ways, but it's just me and her here all week. Hubby is a trucker, only in on the weekends. I am so wore out by the time it's close to bedtime. We have actually tried limiting her fluid intake before and it didn't help much. She will use the bathroom before going to bed, then occasionally gets up during the night to go to the bathroom yet still wets the bed. I can't understand why she's soaking through a pullup enough to wet half the bed, her covers, clothes, pillow and all. You would think going to the bathroom before bed would help.
    Twilight_Mama

Comment by Twilight_Mama (original poster) at 4:46 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Well I saw that you mentioned 8pm. That's entirely too late. You need to do it earlier, say 6pm. I have to say that especially if you're home handling all of this, you really need to set some rules. Nothing is gonna change until you do!

Urinary bed alarms are generally regarded as the most effective bedwetting treatment for the long term.

I found this online :

Alarms are available in several different styles, but all include a moisture sensor and an alarm. One model, for instance, involves a moisture sensor worn on the underwear or pajamas, attached to an alarm box worn on the shirt. The sensor detects moisture almost immediately and sounds the alarm, alerting the child to get up and go to the bathroom.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Try making her stop drinking anything after 6pm, but ensuring she gets enough fluids before hand, then make sure she goes to the bathroom before bed, and then around 2am wake up with her and make her go to the bathroom again. How frequently is she going to the bathroom at night? Once or twice? Do you know about how long after you put her to bed that she goes?

Oh, here is something else about the alarm :
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on May. 10, 2011

• In a report summarizing the medical evidence on bedwetting treatments such as alarms, behavioral interventions such as giving rewards, and medications, alarms were found to be the most effective. The study was published in the Journal of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing.

In another study, published in the Journal of Paediatric Child Health, researchers found that 79% of 505 children who wore bed alarms achieved dryness within about 10 weeks (half took longer, half took less time). Six months later, 73% of those children were still dry.

While many parents try the other strategies first even before discussing bedwetting with their pediatrician, some go straight to the bed alarm.
    Anonymous

• I've always been told by the doctors to stop the fluids an hour before bedtime, so that's what I tried. She goes to the bathroom before bed then occasionally gets up once to go to the bathroom. Usually a few hours after going to sleep.
    Twilight_Mama

Comment by Twilight_Mama (original poster) at 6:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• If they told you an hour before and that clearly isn't working then you have to stop it earlier. Also, make sure her room is warm and she is dressed warm, any chill will make her pee. I'd set an alarm and get up to wake her to pee. She clearly is drinking way too much before bed. If she says she is thirsty she can take a sip or rinse her mouth but can not keep drinking. If her bladder is empty she can't pee her bed! Sounds like she may need a urologist, maybe something more is wrong. Also, bed wetting if all of a sudden could mean other emotional things as well, do some research on your own and keep seeking doctors help.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:50 AM on May. 10, 2011

• It may not be her fluid intake. My friends son has an underdeveloped bladder and can stop drinking fluids at 5pm and still wet the bed. Take her to a urologist and find out if there is a physical condition that is causing the issue. Or it could be a psycholigical reason too. You don't want to limit liquids so much that she gets dehydrated either. Often times, when a child has an underdeveloped bladder, the issue resolves itself once they go through puberty because their body fully develops.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Get a refferal to see a urologist It could be a narrow or shortened urethra. I had that problem when I was younger and like tyfry7496 said, it went away after puberty but until that time the doctor gave me some pills to take that helped. He also said if they didn't help I'd have to undergo a procedure that stretches the urethra but it is painful.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I am the anon from above. I was a bed wetter, and an hour before bed time is nothing and will not help. Yes, I am flat out telling you that advice from a doctor makes absolutely no sense. The point is to ensure that they urinate BEFORE you put them to bed, so they really need to have most of their "last liquid" out before sleeping. However, you need to wake her up in the middle of the night as well and ensure she goes to the bathroom. Then during the day you should do exercises with her. Whenever she thinks she has to go to the bathroom, get her to wait 5 minutes and then go. The point is to build it up to 45 minutes over a few weeks and teach her bladder control.

This suggestion wont work for everyone, but it could work in your case. The best bet is to get in to the doctor and see a specialist.
    Anonymous