Why is it so hard for women to be friends in person , but have many connections on the computer? Just curious...

PRDama

Asked by PRDama at 5:06 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Some can be friends offline, but those that can't make the offline connection, I think it has to do with personality. Online, you can guess what tone the text is in, the expressions. You get insulted by something, you can change the subject or turn off the screen, but IRL, the friction gets created and people want answers or it gets awkward. I guess it's women in general. Hormones. I don't know. I'm socially awkward IRL. -nervous chuckle-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 5:26 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I see a lot of that, but I must be doing something wrong because I haven't made any connections online;) My guess would be because it's easy for people to get online to share and keep up with eachothers lives but real life friendships require people to actually get up and open themselves to people without filtering everything they see and hear.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:32 AM on May. 10, 2011

• It seems to be a lot easier to make friends online. I know when I was younger and single it was hard to keep female friends because they were always so competitive, always wanted to steal boyfriends and such. I got tired of it, so I pretty much just had guy friends for years. Now that I am older, settled down and have a child it's hard for me to make friends. I would love to have close female friends to hang out with, but can't seem to find any. I am laid back, like yard sales, shopping, movies, music and such. Most women I meet are the exact opposite of me or tend to be a little stuck up lol. I am just a simple southerner.
    Twilight_Mama

Answer by Twilight_Mama at 6:47 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Having friends is real life is alot of work. Online its not as personal even though you consider certain friends very close......its much easier to say "Im makin dinner cant talk" or put yourself invisible when you dont want to interact.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:21 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I actually find the opposite to be true ... I don't feel I'm friends with the folks I chat with on the computer. We share some stories and experiences but I would not say we are friends, just acquaintences who met on the net.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i think this is a fabulous question. It is MY OPINION that most women are fake, in general, in real life. The anonymity of a computer allows us to express ourselves without fear of repercussion. People will not really kow who the b*tch is behind the keyboard, so we can be honest and say the things that many people think but are afraid to say, thereby creating a bond.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:31 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I have a number of friends both on the computer and in real life. I've never had a problem making friends and holding on to real ones. If there is a problem, it's usually because women can be petty, jealous, and two-faced. When I'm in a reationship with someone, be it male or female, I'm open and honest. If you're my friend, you have to accept me unconditionally. I don't judge and expect no to be judged. We can be honest and open with each other even if we disagree on major issues like raising children, etc. Women are more emotional and tend to "think too much", as well as worry. If you can't be yourself around your friends, then perhaps they are not real friends at all. Making friends on a computer requires no emotional attachment; usually they are long-distance relationships that offer no threat.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:33 AM on May. 10, 2011

• me too
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:39 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i have a lot of RL friends. its easier to connect with any of them on a daily basis, sometimes hourly, because of texting or FB because everyone has one or both. hanging out IRL isn't as easy because some work, have kids, or other responsibilities.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:47 AM on May. 10, 2011

• For me, it has to do with my anxiety issues. I don't like even talking on the phone, much less meeting people in person. Weird, I know, but I'm on meds and soon to be in therapy for it, so hopefully it will get better.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:27 AM on May. 10, 2011