• In the Spotlight:

How can animal rescues get it through to parents you don't get rabbit for Easter then neglect it??

I am a working mom that does volunteer work at a local animal rescue. We tell parents you can't get a bunny, stick this intelligent thing in a cage 24/7 and allow the kids to forget it until it dies, goes crazy from neglect or comes back to us in awful unadoptable shape. In the interview, parents swear up and down their kids will do everything we instruct. We give resources, even our own phone numbers...But you can't always tell which adults are just going along to get it and go home and leave it to 10 yr old. From all of us animal rescues to moms, dads and other SOs...if you got your kid a cute bunny because it is Easter make sure you really care about animals because you will most likely have to care for it so get educated,too. Every rescue will gladly answer your questions..just ask. These animals are smart, fun and have tons of personality.. We are not radical wackjobs..we are doctors, stay at home moms, project managers, teachers volunteering,..asking for common sense and I know other moms feel my pain,too. I hear it often from other smart, compassionate moms. Why wouldn't a parent think this through first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I absolutely agree. This year we purchased a bunny, and did all of our research before doing so. I read so many websites where rabbits were left to rescues not long after Easter. It is extremely sad. I was told they can be vicious, and wild. However, our little bunny is so sweet. I think it is all in how they are handled and cared for. Our bunny actually comes hopping when he hears his name "Hop"- very smart. You have to be willing to put in the extra time for caring for a bunny, and the cleaning part is not so easy..lol. But, in the end my 6 year old is right by my side helping and learning responsibility of caring for an animal. Your post is much needed and glad to see you are putting the word out there....
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I get what you're saying, but there's not much you can do except make it harder for people to adopt animals from you, and then perhaps do a home visit a few weeks after someone adopts a pet to make sure it's still in good health.

Different organizations run things different ways, partly because they just want to and partly because they have to. If you know that animals are being neglected after being adopted from you, then you should work towards fixing that. People will agree to just about anything as long as the pet is healthy IF they want the animal. However, sometimes you have to... nudge them in the right direction even after the fact. I hope this makes sense.

Parents do think things through, but to some people a rabbit is the same as a gold fish. If it dies, there's plenty more to replace it. I personally don't have that mentality, but some out there do. They just don't feel for pets the same way.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• That is how they think, as awful as it is. Not everyone but some. We have two rabbits we bought for our daughters but they take care of them and they get run time in the house... they love it. But like the hamster we have, sometimes you do have to take over the care of pets.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 6:08 AM on May. 10, 2011

• thats sad!
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:27 AM on May. 10, 2011

• 2 freerange rabbits that is so awesome! Don't they have the coolest personalities? Your daughters are very lucky they have you as a parent and you instilled that trait of compassion .. My son is older now and his essay that got him into premed was how he learned human responsibility through animals he rescued with me as a child...this essay surprised heck out of me because he isn't a big animal person at all..but he explained in the essay it built his character as a young man to help the defenseless.. OMG I cried when I read it..Kudos to your family and the buns..and the hamster lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:09 AM on May. 10, 2011

• This is hardly isolated to rabbits and small animal rescue. People do not always understand the responsibilities of owning a pet or the needs of an animal. Unfortunately there are too many animals in need of homes so sometimes rescues do need to take chances on some of these homes. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't.

On the flip side, I know people who have been turned down repeatedly by shelters and rescues for one reason or another. It usually has to do with work hours, age of the children or enclosure requirements. And some of these people in frustration go purchase pets from the stores and turn out to be the best pet owners around.

So, there is no sure formula for a perfect adoption. Perhaps the rabbit rescue should consider banning Easter adoptions, if this is a difficulty.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:49 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Agreed! I think people treat caged animals as 'disposable' creatures sometimes, or think that their needs are less than they are. I have had a variety of little caged animals and they are as much work as a larger pet... our two guinea pigs get daily vitamin C fortified pellets, unlimited hay, fresh fruit and veg daily, daily floor time when they can run free, and a daily snuggle with me or the kids... plus we clip their nails monthly, weigh them weekly, and I feel them over for lumps and bumps and check their teeth as best as I can once a week. They are very sweet, surprisingly clever, very social, and I can't fathom them being kept in a cage for days on end without anyone paying attention to them! I also think small critters often get substandard vet care- last summer one of my piggies needed surgery and the vet was pleasantly surprised that we were willing to pay for it- she said most people won't, they just replace!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Kelly watch your 6 yr old's integrity and compassion around people and animals. Your animal lessons and smarts i bet are already showing and making you very proud. The studies are there. Kids that treat animals well tend to treat others well. And kids that mistreat them well...not hard to see how that manifests. I usually say nothing and let less caring parents say their "they aren't people they don't care if they stay in a cage " finally i lose patience "Yes as a PhD in neurobiology I DO know animals will suffer greatly from that stress. Be honest you just couldn't care less and now passing the bad habit on to your kids" guess I sound harsh and may be criticised but too bad because I know what I see every week.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:52 PM on May. 10, 2011