Any ideas on how to deal with bed wetting?

Never had to deal with this my daughter 7 potty trained so well never had any accidents. My ss has been living with us almost 10 mos he is 6 I was doing laundry to find his jammies completely soiled so I told his father then hubby pulled back sheets to find that this is a big problem he has a loft bed so I couldn't have known this cuz kids put sheets in the washer on Fridays and I had no reason to climb the bed. This has not been a problem in the past at least when we used to get weekends he never did this how do I deal wit my hubby told ss if u don't stop this I'm getting u diapers I had a talk with him and told him nothing to drink after 7 and I will be checking him in the morning now is there anything else and could it be something more going on bio mom obviously didn't tell hubby much about everyday situations due to her disputing custody ... its funny people are so quick to tell me he's not your child don't get in bio parents business lol and I put more love and efforts into him than they do I have been in his life for 6 years and I feel like I am still learning ss its weird cuz my daughter is so self sufficient

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 7:01 AM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Changes can caue kids to regress. It's probably an emotional thing. There's a reason they make training pants so big. Don't try to makehim feel bd about it, that almost never helps a situation
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:35 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Im assuming with what your saying this is something that just started happening? Im sure if he's lived with you for 10 months you would notice his bedding being wet or the smell of urine on him.

If my child suddenly started wetting the bed at 6 I would get them into the doctors and make sure there wasnt a physical problem such ie; bladder infection etc. I would also question whats happening in this childs life that may be upsetting.

At 6 years old a child more then likely isnt wetting the bed out of laziness. He is sleeping very hard and not waking up or there is physical/mental problem.

I dont think I would approach this with threats and punishment.......there is obviously an issue of some kind. Good luck
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:10 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I am having the same issue with my 10 yr old DD. She wears pullups but still wets the bed. People are telling me not to let her have liquids after 6 PM and to wake her up during the night to go to the bathroom. Maybe the same will help you. My daughter is such a heavy sleeper she never even knows she's had an accident. A bed wetting alarm is something I would like to get. Best of luck to you. I know it's hard.
    Twilight_Mama

Answer by Twilight_Mama at 7:06 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My 8 yr old has had that problem in the past. I talked to my doctor about it and he told me to limit drinks after dinner, and of course make him go to the bathroom before bed and then 15 minutes later make him go again, it really does help. there is also medicine he can take but it doesn't sound that serious for that. Don't make him feel bad about it though. but you need to let him know that if he does have an accident that he needs to let you know so you can wash his stuff. he will probally outgrow it, my son still has an accident probally a few times a month. Kids can't help it so it will not help if your husband is making him feel bad.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Some kids take longer. 6 is not old. Your husband is right. Buy him pull ups to sleep in. Goodnights. His body isn't ready yet. It's not his fault.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:20 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I know with my son he wet the bed every night and we finally took him to the Dr and he ended up needing surgery to open the tip of his penis more. It is something to look into. Also, sometimes when kids grow their bladders don't grow as fast as they do. I would not yell at him or tell him you are getting diapers for him because this is not something he can control. I know with my son he sometimes didn't even wake up and in the morning everything would soaked. I agree that a changes can cause kids to have issues as well and if he is not talking about what is going on this could be his way of releasing his emotions.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:45 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with nicole he may not quite be adjusted to the changes now that he's living with you. That doesn't have to mean anything bad is going on he might just be a little nervous right now. Does he still have to visit bio mom? I only ask because when my dh got custody of his sons they would fake sick, wet the bed the night before they knew they had to visit her as thier way of trying to get out of going on the visits. Once they realized that the visits are supervised and that thier dad will always be there to pick them up they got more comfortable with going and all those issues stopped. So he may just need more time, but keep an eye on it and bringing him to the dr and trying to have talks with him couldn't hurt. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:23 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I thought I would send my DD to first grade in a pull up at night. This IS a phisiological issue that clears on its own!!! NEVER scold or threaten..it does NO GOOD. You can google this issue and you will find what I am telling you to be true. One other thing to keep in mind...this can also be a precursor in the development of Juvenile Diabetes. My brother went well after he was 10 and at the age of 12 was diagnosed with JD. I would feel like crap had I screamed and punished my kid only to find out they had something terrible going on...wouldn't you? He will grow out of this. My son in now 5 and is just starting to have some mornings where he wakes up dry and he potty trained very easily. Let this go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:47 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My cousin's ds had this issue. He would begin bed wetting every time things got stressful for him or if he became upset (custody issues with his father). Maybe you could talk with him to see if there's anything going on. It could be something at school, he may miss his mom (no matter the situation he was in). Just don't shame him about it, it truly is something out of his control! Talk with his ped, he may need counseling to help him with this transition.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:19 PM on May. 12, 2011