How much do you pay your childcare provider?

Just read a job listing: $3.75/hr to babysit another person's child. No indication of age or level of difficulty.

As a mother, I know money is tight and I love when people are willing to work for little or no money. However, I never ask them to. I usually ask them how much they want to be paid, and if I can't afford that amount I try to find someone else.

But, as a stay-at-home mom, I know that the job of caring for a kid is worth much more than $3.75/hr.

I went on payscale.com one day when I had nothing better to do and I calculated the going salary for every job that a SAHM assumes the role of. Try it sometime. Add all of that up, subtract taxes and FICA, and tell your SO you need compensation.

Okay...don't do that last part, that might cause issues.

But how much is caregiver worth? If you outsourced your mothering job to someone else (because you had another job to go to or because you needed a break or whatever the reason) how much would this other person deserve to get paid?

The most I have paid a person was $10/hr, but she took advantage of me in other ways, so if I was underpaying her I don't feel bad. The least I've paid is $5, but it was a dear friend who actually volunteers to watch my girls for free randomly (and I hate letting her because I feel like I am taking advantage of her).

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 7:01 AM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have just recently started looking at a daycare for my son, and there is a woman that my husband and I know who charges $25/day or $125/week. She also provides breakfast, lunch, and a snack. So, for an 8 hour day, that would work out to $3.13/hour.
    Danda08

Answer by Danda08 at 8:39 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I make 13/hr. You can see what the going rate is in your area at care.com. You will see postings from providers and those looking for someone
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:19 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Right now im a sahm but from what ive heard it depends on the place or if the sitter comes to your house and how many kids. At one point when i was working 3p-11p we paid our sitter 20$ a day but she was only at my house from 2:30-4:30 when my dh got home. That was for 4 days a week, and she was basically just there to see that my 3 oldest got off the bus (the last 2 get home at 4p) and then dh would get home and people would tell me this was too much to pay her since she really didnt have to "do"anything. And our local daycare charges 33$ a day for a full day which can be from 7am-6pm thats only for one child of pre-k age and up not sure (probably) more for the younger ones.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I pay $250 per week for full time daycare. 8:00 - 5:30 5 days a week. I pay $8 per hour part time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:18 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I just pay $20 a day/ $100 a week for 9-4pm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I pay $2.00/hour per child. It probably varies depending on where you live, I live in the midwest and use and in home care provider for both of my kids. it is about $24/day.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:48 AM on May. 10, 2011