Is DC ready for the Inaguration?

DC City Council has agreed to allow bars in the district to be open till 5AM Inaguration night.
They are predicting 4 million people and over 10,000 charter buses.
The Police Chief has said they are concerned.
Residents have said they are concerned.
Logistics and Transportation experts have expresses concern.
"Security and capacity measures recommended by the District’s congressional delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton and others will almost certainly surpass the $15 million the federal government gives to the District each year to defray the cost of events, Norton said."
http://www.dcexaminer.com/local/Soaring_costs_for_inauguration_could_break_the_bank_for_DC11-18.html
http://wtopnews.com/?nid=596&sid=1535120
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/inauguration-watch/2008/12/dc_police_union_chief_question.html

Are there any Cafe Mom DCresidents that are concerned

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am staying AWAY from the area lol. And the masses will be allowed to drink until 5am..so hopefully they will all be using the city's transit choices.
    Anonymous

• I don't think I would go near DC if my life depended on it. Allowing people to drink later when their are 4 million people predicted?
    Sounds like a move because of income/revenue not a decision made for the "greater good of the people"...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I think the alocohol tax revenue collected for this evening from the bars should have to be applied to the additional security needed to monitor a predicted number of 4 million people...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• When exactly is the government ready for anything? I would love an example.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Not to mention they are now opening up the National Mall for people to watch it on big screens. However, you can't take lawn chairs, backpacks, umbrellas, strollers...etc. Needless to say I'm not going near DC nor am I leaving my house as I-95 will be PACKED. So I'll stay home safe and sound and let everyone else deal with the chaos that is going to happen.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Why is THIS inauguration any different from past inaugurations?! Why would DC residents be MORE concerned than former large scale events--million people marches, pro-life rallies, and assorted protests? I thought everyone (well, 52 million anyway) got the President they wanted!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Lorikeet-Actually, there were issues with the million man march, and past inagurations had 500,000 people and the bars weren't till 4 am, and there weren't 10,000 buses chartered.
    So, this isn't just an average every day rally, inaguration, etc.
    Anonymous

• Millions Man March issues being that there weren't really a million people there http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Million:Man:March.htm

So this is to be a very large undertaking for the city of DC.
    Anonymous

• I work in DC and live just outside of DC. The way things are going I'll be laid off by then, but if not I'll be avoiding work and staying close to home for a few days! My office is next to the white house.

I'm not worried though. There are going to be problems, people are going to get hurt, Metro will have a million problems...but overall it will be fine. The only concern I have is that my dad works for Metro and when they get packed people do get pushed onto the tracks. Not a pretty sight!
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• their way of preparing for the inauguration is by encouraging drinking til dawn? wtf... how about just more public things being available longer that don't involve idiocy. people are going and taking their children for this historic event.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008