Any good books on how to deal with a preschooler who knows it all

My DD is 4 yrs old and is walking all over me... It seems like everyday is a battle. I am a SAHM and I get so tired of picking battles with her. She totally tests me too. Every time I say let's go do your hair, she'll go into the bathroom and say " I gotta go potty" and leaves me standing their waiting for her... EVERYTIME!
She is an only child and she does go to a 3 day 1/2 day school to be around other kids and she is good when she is there. She just always wants her way when she is at home...
Are there any good books that could help me to get her straightened up? Or to get me straightened up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am not sure about any books for this age although I will tell you you just have to maintain the control. If you want her to brush her hair and she always has to go potty then tell her, when you are done come and get me so we can brush your hair. Or try letting her brush her hair at first. She is trying to control her life as much as she can and so she is testing you. A few things we did my house are set up house rules that post them somewhere she can see them. We also did reward system, I got glass jars and colored marbles. When the kids listened or I felt they needed to be rewarded they got a marble, it they misbehaved or didn't listen I would take a marble away. After "X" amount of marbles they would get a special treat. Remember to pick and chose your battles because not everything is worth fighting over. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:53 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I feel for you, if you are letting her walk all over you now what are you going to do at 16? It is going to be tough, but it is time to set some boundaries. You are going to have to be firm with her. Potty time is tough because you don't want to cause an accident, so only you can judge if she really needs to go. I would start by asking if she needs to go potty. If the answer is no, then say. Okay, let's get your hair brushed. You have given her the opportunity to go and now you have control of the situation, but you need to keep it.

We are all just winging it and figuring it out as we go and when we find what works we stick with it. The best advice is be loving and constant.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:04 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Have a New Kid by Friday worked wonders with my girls and helped me maintain the control in the house without going to my typical freak out and get mad. Another book is The Five Love Languages of Children. The second one isn't a discipline book but it is a tool to help you figure out how your child expresses and receives love. For example, My three year old feels loved the most when we do craft time because she expresses love through time spent together. My two year old feels loved the most when she is snuggling with me. I don't remember what the other three were because it didn't pertain to them. Hope it helped :)
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 5:34 AM on May. 11, 2011